Halloween Street Festival

highbred3d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I drove up the coast the east coast of the USA for our vacation and made it back to my home town near Salem Massachusetts. We went over Halloween so that she could experience the craziness that goes on there. If you aren't farmiliar, Salem is the home of the Witch Trials and Hysteria in the late 1600's. The town has embraced it's history and celebrates its past. The streets downtown close, and fill up with people and vendors.

Not sure how successful I was, but here are my attempts at some street photo / journalism pictures. Hope you enjoy!

1.) A view of the crowd outside the Peabody Essex Museum

halloween3.jpg

2.) A street performer puts people in coffins

halloween4.jpg

3.) A mother carries her little boy in costume

halloween5.jpg

4 & 5.) Religous groups were in heavy presence during the festivities

halloween1.jpg

halloween2.jpg

Cool shots. I have heard about the festivals in Salem, and have thought about seeing them one day myself. Very interesting.

If you go, make sure halloween falls on the weekend, or very late in the week.... I believe it fell on tuesday this year, and this is the first year I have seen it actually be relatively slow. Think it was too spread out over a very long weekend. Kind of a tourist trap, but still alot of fun, and some good oppertunities for photos. I will be going back in December.

nice series! Salem´s history seems very interesting.... back in those days the church would hang, drown or burn alive anyone who was acused of witchcraft..... total madness......... well at least thats what i know.......

The sheriff was leading the pack of accusers, and it is said that a curse was put on him and the sheriffs of Salem, by the husband of an accused witch. The husband was suspected of witchcraft as well, and while the sheriff was crushing him to death, he cursed the sheriffs. It seems since then that they all seem to suffer from rare blood diseases too from what I hear.

Bizarre stuff. I enjoyed Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" and his comparison to the McCarthy era. Interesting bit of history. Nice shots! :thumbup: It probably would step up a notch during Halloween.

Being "religious" as some like to put it, I find it interesting that they chose to print those verses on a sign, not the ones that come before it. No wonder people hate us.

Interesting shots, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back