What's new

Halos when using flash

Onerider

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
188
Reaction score
27
Location
Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee Misplaced Texan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I've been practicing with the flash and have noticed faint yellow haze or halos behind these. My background is 4 ft. away. I can't figure why this is happening.
This is SOOC. Any ideas?

http://
20130210-IMG_6165.jpg
 
Nice shot. As far as the halos go, I can't really see too much in the posted image, so questions. Are you using the flash at full power? It may be that the halos are caused by flashback, or a direct reflection, from the flowers themselves. Have you tried shooting these with the flash at a lower power, say 50% and see if you still have this problem? I have a small Lastolite soft box that measures about 5.5 x 6 inches. I use that with my flash when I am taking some of my flower pictures. This softens the light and I have never seen this problem when using it. I almost always have my flash off the camera for shots like this one, so are you using the flash on the camera or is it off the camera so that it is hitting the flowers at an angle to the camera? Just some things to think about. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy
 
I too use flash off camera and the same Lastolite softbox on Flowers. Never see any halos. But I must admit I don't see much here either.
 
Thanks for the ideas. The flash was off camera with a home made snoot grid. 1/250 @ f/4 1/64 flash. I have noticed this at other flash settings also. I'm using a 17-50 lens at 50mm. I wonder if I need to back away a little. I' about 3 feet or so away from the flower.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom