Happy Halloween

JayClark79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son will be dressed as one of his favorite animals for Halloween this year. Please C&C on these shots.
4026219853_6499333b74.jpg

4026973222_0b44e65ce0.jpg

4026221859_ab921d632c.jpg

Geez no comments yet?

Ok man I'll give it a shot!

#1 Composition wise I think this is the best shot amongst the group. He's looking at the camera while holding on to the pumpkin(His left ear is sticking out from the costume though). Very well composed. I particularly don't like the lighting as it is coming out to harsh on his right side and lacks on the opposing side. I think a softbox will do great on these kind of shots(for individuals works best IMO) to spread out and slow some of the photons down...hehe.

#2 I think lighting is too harsh and the angle of his face in relevance to the camera isn't as complimenting as the first.

#3 Exposure wise I think this one takes the cake. It seems as if he moved(lol kids!) which fixed the exposure problem. Composition wise I think this would've been great if he was smiling but I'm not sure you can't do anything about that as it seems that this wasn't posed. But Atleast from this shot and positioning this tells you that maybe you had your lighting a little bit too much to your left side on the other two.

Happy shooting!

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with what Camz said. #3 exposure but with the pose of #1, still good shots though. Did you have a white background as well? I think they woulda looked better shot on a white background rather than black, just my opinion though.

I say throw away shot #1 and throw away shot #3, because shot #2 is,and I seldom say this--TOTALLY AWESOME.

Shot #2 shows the cutest little elephant, in a dynamic, crouching pose. The elephant "toenails" look good. His expression is clear, sharp, and his line of gaze is super. His mouth is open,and you can see those cute, perfect little top two center baby teeth are in. He looks active in that pose, both in body posture, and the way his hands are positioned. In shot one his tongue is laying there and making him look babyish,and he's seated flat on his keister, while in photo #3 he's looking out of the frame, and the composition is loose and disjointed and his off-to-the-side gaze ruins it.

Shot #2 is a professional-grade toddler theme photo. Great dynamic pose, great facial expression, animated hand position, sharp,clear face, costume looks good, the entire compositional space is filled and it is framed properly as a horizontal. This is just a SUPER-DUPER, AWESOME halloween studio shot on a kid that age. I hope your parents and your wife's parents are all still alive, 'cause this is a grandparent's dream shot.:thumbup:

Hey guys thanks for all the great comments, I posted these almost a week ago and was beginnig to wonder why I had no comments yet lol..

I do not have a white background yet, infact the one you see here is just a black sheet. For lighting i had an overhead shopligh for a hairlight with a 120 watt bright white bulb, and I had an external flash on my camera for the other lighting.

My son was very uncoperative in these shots and man his attention span was short... In #3 he is actualy trying to climb off the table and is whining ... he also had drum sticks in his hand to keep him occupied but I was able to clone them out nicely I think.

Yup all of his grandparents are alive, and I know my mom atleast ordered 5x7's of these shots... im not sure about the others but I will be asking them.. Iv actually got a few neighbors lined up to do their kids also.

Thanks again for the comments iv only had my camera since June and I really just can't get enough of it!

Most reactions

Back