Happy New POTUS to our American friends

I

Iron Flatline

Congratulations on another peaceful transition of power.

Let's hope the new guy has a really big kit bag and some good ideas, it's going to take a lot of gear and a bunch of creativity to get this shoot finished.

I just heard this from someone...(a Canadian b.t.w.)
I told my kids that today's a really important day, explained what a President is, and then told my kids that it's the first time that there will be one who doesn't have white skin.
First of all, my kids didn't really know what white skin is. So I said we have white skin. Then my daughter looked at me like I was an idiot and told me we didn't. Then I tried to explain that "white" refers to people with peach skin. So that was okay eventually.

Then ten minutes later, she says "I hope the new boss of a-MAN-ica is green, like Shrek."
I thought that was pretty cute.

Everyone please remember, political discussion is not allowed so let's not get into any discussions here. Thanks.

You know how we can tell there is still racism in America? When people make a note that this is our first black president.

You know how we can tell there is still racism in America? When people make a note that this is our first black president.

well.....isn't he? and don't say it doesn't matter because considering where we were just 60 years ago, it's kind of a big deal.

Bingo.

well.....isn't he? and don't say it doesn't matter because considering where we were just 60 years ago, it's kind of a big deal.
Unfortunately, everyone I saw on local newscasts would mention "because we are going to have our first black president" when asked why they were voting the way they were voting.

Yesterday on the scroll across the bottom of the morning newscast, it displayed something to the effect of, 'Obama will be sworn into Presidency today in front of the Capital building built by slaves.'

Obama wasn't elected to Presidency, a black man was elected to Presidency. I would estimate the reasons I saw from street interviews and the newscasts that it was split 70/30. 70% said 'black' and 30% said 'change'.

I am optomistic for the future and the general "feel" the media is telling us exists in the country. Not that it really matters, but it seems the half white side of his ancestry is not so much of a ratings boost for the networks. I don't know... does this amount to racism too?

He could be purple for all I care, as long as he fixes or at least make great strides to correct the debacle which we call our legislative branch of government.

If it had been Clinton then people would be noting it is our first Female president.

Unfortunately, everyone I saw on local newscasts would mention "because we are going to have our first black president" when asked why they were voting the way they were voting.

Excellent point. Black people have it so easy in this country. Just by having dark skin they get to be president. This explains why the senate and congress is also filled with black people too.

Oh wait, on second thought what you're saying doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe you should stop watching fox news and start thinking for yourself?

It was all over the news here in Canuckville. I was impressed with his poise up there, in front of millions and the silence of the crowd when he spoke. I would have cracked.
But these two lines caught my attention tho. .

"but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist. "

"know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy"

Pretty moving stuff .

It was all over the news here in Canuckville. I was impressed with his poise up there, in front of millions and the silence of the crowd when he spoke. I would have cracked.
But these two lines caught my attention tho. .

"but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist. "

"know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy"

Pretty moving stuff .

So... you are saying if he got caught up in Chillers basement..... you'd just let em go?

Isn't this technically a political thread? I got one locked earlier in the week for discussing Obama. I would think this one will suffer the same fate.

Isn't this technically a political thread? I got one locked earlier in the week for discussing Obama. I would think this one will suffer the same fate.
The difference, so far, is that this thread isn't meant to start a political discussion. It's just a congratulations theme. Normally, I'd probably lock this one as well, just based on the topic...but given the enormity of the event, we can't lock them all.

It's a thin line...and if this thread does cross into debate or political opinion...then it too will be closed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back