Hard case and travel suggestions please

Oh... I never check in my equipment. I check all my cloths (and tripod) under the plane and carry on a very small bag for personal items that go under my chair and the 1510 goes up top. Pack wisely... the 1510 is not as large as it looks in pictures.

When I approach the line, I always have the lock unlocked. Always be ready to be asked to step aside for a closer security check (the case will attract attention to you). Be totally cooperative and willing to show all your equipment... If you still have film, don't store them in little containers... remove them and store all of it in a zip lock. So the final tip.. is to leave a little earlier to plan for the inspection time.

The Pelican 1510 is sized just to meet carry-on specs. I'd look there first. You would have the option of carrying your equipment on, but on some smaller planes, you may have to check it at the plane anyhow. In that case, the baggage handler wouldn't be able to destroy a pelican case.

Once you get on location, the Pelican case is not going to be that practical. It is basically waterproof & shockproof armor, not a convenient camera case.

Once you get to your destination, use your photo bag or backpack and leave the Pelican in the hotel.

Thanks for the input. A backpack is a great option in almost every respect except I'm not sure if they provide much protection. I'm assuming stuff gets bumped and smashed on planes if you bring it on the plane as a carryon.

Also, when I traveled with my film SLR, I had a 50mm lens on the body, a 24mm in the bag, and a 75-300 in the bag. They asked me to remove the lens from the body, but they also took the caps off the zoom and looked down the barrel. I guess they know you could store explosives in it or something, if you were very clever. That was pre-9/11, so I'm guessing they're even more invasive now, but maybe that's not the case. If they'd allow me to disassemble anything I don't have much to worry about.

now that is really stupid of them.....they have X-ray machine....if anyone wants to store anything inside the camera...they can do it on a P&S and with a P&S....you cant expect them to take a P&S apart to check with bare eyes........you were unlucky i guess?.....

as far as protection goes.....the camera backpack should be sufficient.....is not like you are going to throw it or drop it....tiny little shaking is nothing......condition is not that roughly on the plane.....but you never know what they do with your luggage during transport......and for sure you dont want to know if you are checking in your equpiments

now that is really stupid of them.....they have X-ray machine....if anyone wants to store anything inside the camera...they can do it on a P&S and with a P&S....you cant expect them to take a P&S apart to check with bare eyes........you were unlucky i guess?.....

On occasion they still do that. I've been asked to remove front and rear caps of every one of my lenses. The inspector looked through each lens making sure he could see through them. Another inspector also wanted me to trip the shutter just to make sure the camera isn't a dummy. On the other hand, this occured just a few weeks after 9/11 and I was boarding at Newark, NJ.... the paranoia was at a all time high.

as far as protection goes.....the camera backpack should be sufficient.....is

Yes... sufficient for protection... but I also use my 1510 for security as well. Ever try to secure a soft backpack to anything? Pad locking a soft case is pointless...

Just be aware the 1510 will not fit in the overhead of a CRJ, so you'll have to gate check it, but that's better than nothing and that case will save it from damage.

now that is really stupid of them.....they have X-ray machine....

Yep, and to make matters worse, their stupidity comes and goes arbitrarily, so you never know what to expect. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back