Hard choice on a Canon used body

oskiper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I have a hard choice to make and I need some advice...

I do stage photography, and I`ve been studying photography for 7 months.

I need to upgrade my gear (Canon 1100D) and I'm on a really tight budget because in Argentina camera bodies are very, very expensive, even if I purchase the abroad due to taxes.

I have the possibility to buy a Canon 5D classic or a Canon 7D (not the M2 but the prior). The idea is also to buy two 2.8 lenses as I always shoot under very low light conditions, my photos are only used on internet so I don't need much resolution (I need to get excelent quality 3000 px. wide photos, just that).

Which one would you purchase and why? Which would be the cons of getting a 5D classic?

DB_Cro

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Those two are very similar in low light and with 7D you can use much cheaper 2.8 lenses like the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 2.8.
I'd avoid the (very old) 5D.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
As a Nikonian, I can't really offer any specific advice, but in addition to high-ISO performance, you need a body which will focus well under low-light conditions, so keep that in mind when making your choice.

DB_Cro

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Good point.
7D has a MUCH superior focusing system to the old 5D, which is another good reason to get that.

OP
oskiper

oskiper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
As a Nikonian, I can't really offer any specific advice, but in addition to high-ISO performance, you need a body which will focus well under low-light conditions, so keep that in mind when making your choice.

"Nikonian"! LOL... I love how brands became adjetives hahaha, in Argentina we call "Nikonistas" and "Canonistas"

beagle100

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I have a hard choice to make and I need some advice...

I do stage photography, and I`ve been studying photography for 7 months.

I need to upgrade my gear (Canon 1100D) and I'm on a really tight budget because in Argentina camera bodies are very, very expensive, even if I purchase the abroad due to taxes.

I have the possibility to buy a Canon 5D classic or a Canon 7D (not the M2 but the prior). The idea is also to buy two 2.8 lenses as I always shoot under very low light conditions, my photos are only used on internet so I don't need much resolution (I need to get excelent quality 3000 px. wide photos, just that).

Which one would you purchase and why? Which would be the cons of getting a 5D classic?

I think for indoor stage photography a used 5D2 might be a better choice

xenskhe

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's the 5D classic like at 1600/3200 for color work? Maybe not so good compared to some other cameras these days.

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Photos OK to edit
What's the 5D classic like at 1600/3200 for color work? Maybe not so good compared to some other cameras these days.

very poor quality compared to todays cameras. The 7D is a better choice as it is good at 800, and acceptable at 1600.

xenskhe

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd suggest a used Fujifilm X camera and maybe the 14mm, the 60mm. I appreciate the cost issues involved, but you have a narrow requirement for good lowlight, color work with these theatre assignments. Can you work with manual focus lenses? It's actors on a stage rather than, say, basketball. And it's not big prints (eg fine art, display) it's magazine repro or online pictures needed. An X-Pro1 works well at 3200 even 6400 color. About US$300?

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
xenskhe said:

Still pretty good at 1600, usable at 3200, in my opinion. The 5D Classic has a big, 12.8 megapixel sensor...in straight out of camera JPEG, the 5D was neck and neck with the Nikon D3 as far as image quality.

I personally think the high-ISO quality of the 7D is not very good...the 5D is a far better imager, but the autofocus module is not that good with slow lenses, like f/4 or slower. Personally...I think the better camera is actually the low-cost used 5D.

The Canon 5D, now often called the 5D Classic...its image files really have a nice "look" to them...it's difficult to define. It's not that smallish, 1.6x APS-C sized sensor...instead of a 333 square millimeter sensor in the 7D, the 5D Classic has an 864 square millimeter image....it is a LOT larger image area. The 5D's image quality is sort of hard to describe.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Okay....yeah... Canon EOS 7D vs Canon EOS 5D | DxOMark

The 5D is the better imager--especially in Color Range, across the ISO spectrum. Look in to the individual performance scores. And then consider the 5D has roughly a 2.6 times bigger image area.

xenskhe

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
That's good to know. Well if it can do the job..

OP
oskiper

oskiper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Okay....yeah... Canon EOS 7D vs Canon EOS 5D | DxOMark

The 5D is the better imager--especially in Color Range, across the ISO spectrum. Look in to the individual performance scores. And then consider the 5D has roughly a 2.6 times bigger image area.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Derrel, have in consideration that you are comparing the 5D classic to a 7D, the one I'm looking for is the 7D M2 which is way better than it's predecessor.
Canon 7D vs Canon 7D Mark II

Most reactions

New Topics