Hard choice on a Canon used body

oskiper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I have a hard choice to make and I need some advice...

I do stage photography, and I`ve been studying photography for 7 months.

I need to upgrade my gear (Canon 1100D) and I'm on a really tight budget because in Argentina camera bodies are very, very expensive, even if I purchase the abroad due to taxes.

I have the possibility to buy a Canon 5D classic or a Canon 7D (not the M2 but the prior). The idea is also to buy two 2.8 lenses as I always shoot under very low light conditions, my photos are only used on internet so I don't need much resolution (I need to get excelent quality 3000 px. wide photos, just that).

Which one would you purchase and why? Which would be the cons of getting a 5D classic?

Those two are very similar in low light and with 7D you can use much cheaper 2.8 lenses like the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 2.8.
I'd avoid the (very old) 5D.

As a Nikonian, I can't really offer any specific advice, but in addition to high-ISO performance, you need a body which will focus well under low-light conditions, so keep that in mind when making your choice.

Good point.
7D has a MUCH superior focusing system to the old 5D, which is another good reason to get that.

As a Nikonian, I can't really offer any specific advice, but in addition to high-ISO performance, you need a body which will focus well under low-light conditions, so keep that in mind when making your choice.

"Nikonian"! LOL... I love how brands became adjetives hahaha, in Argentina we call "Nikonistas" and "Canonistas"

Hello everyone!

I have a hard choice to make and I need some advice...

I do stage photography, and I`ve been studying photography for 7 months.

I need to upgrade my gear (Canon 1100D) and I'm on a really tight budget because in Argentina camera bodies are very, very expensive, even if I purchase the abroad due to taxes.

I have the possibility to buy a Canon 5D classic or a Canon 7D (not the M2 but the prior). The idea is also to buy two 2.8 lenses as I always shoot under very low light conditions, my photos are only used on internet so I don't need much resolution (I need to get excelent quality 3000 px. wide photos, just that).

Which one would you purchase and why? Which would be the cons of getting a 5D classic?

I think for indoor stage photography a used 5D2 might be a better choice

What's the 5D classic like at 1600/3200 for color work? Maybe not so good compared to some other cameras these days.

What's the 5D classic like at 1600/3200 for color work? Maybe not so good compared to some other cameras these days.

very poor quality compared to todays cameras. The 7D is a better choice as it is good at 800, and acceptable at 1600.

I'd suggest a used Fujifilm X camera and maybe the 14mm, the 60mm. I appreciate the cost issues involved, but you have a narrow requirement for good lowlight, color work with these theatre assignments. Can you work with manual focus lenses? It's actors on a stage rather than, say, basketball. And it's not big prints (eg fine art, display) it's magazine repro or online pictures needed. An X-Pro1 works well at 3200 even 6400 color. About US$300?

xenskhe said:

Still pretty good at 1600, usable at 3200, in my opinion. The 5D Classic has a big, 12.8 megapixel sensor...in straight out of camera JPEG, the 5D was neck and neck with the Nikon D3 as far as image quality.

I personally think the high-ISO quality of the 7D is not very good...the 5D is a far better imager, but the autofocus module is not that good with slow lenses, like f/4 or slower. Personally...I think the better camera is actually the low-cost used 5D.

The Canon 5D, now often called the 5D Classic...its image files really have a nice "look" to them...it's difficult to define. It's not that smallish, 1.6x APS-C sized sensor...instead of a 333 square millimeter sensor in the 7D, the 5D Classic has an 864 square millimeter image....it is a LOT larger image area. The 5D's image quality is sort of hard to describe.

Okay....yeah... Canon EOS 7D vs Canon EOS 5D | DxOMark

The 5D is the better imager--especially in Color Range, across the ISO spectrum. Look in to the individual performance scores. And then consider the 5D has roughly a 2.6 times bigger image area.

That's good to know. Well if it can do the job..

Okay....yeah... Canon EOS 7D vs Canon EOS 5D | DxOMark

The 5D is the better imager--especially in Color Range, across the ISO spectrum. Look in to the individual performance scores. And then consider the 5D has roughly a 2.6 times bigger image area.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Derrel, have in consideration that you are comparing the 5D classic to a 7D, the one I'm looking for is the 7D M2 which is way better than it's predecessor.
Canon 7D vs Canon 7D Mark II

Most reactions

Back