Hard vs. Soft Light

photoexpertguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you prefer?

Check out this article to learn more about quality of light and how this photo was created.

6a0120a589ff89970b0120a6497abc970c-pi

PEG - The Photo Expert Guy

i prefer not so processed HDR. and what article are you talking about?
below are 2 links, hard and soft light of the same subject, to illustrate the ability to change your subjects appearance with light that i think everyone will enjoy. :lmao:
soft light
hard light

Hum, don't see any HDR here, just hard, direct light from at least a couple of lights.

It looks like there's one light just out of the bottom of the frame set to it's widest beam and pointing up at about a 45 degree angle, lighting him and making the hard shadow on the wall behind him. There is a second one behind him lighting the lower part of the door.

It looks like there's been some boost to local contrast done in post processing but no tone mapping.

hmmm bad call on my part then, i associate that contrast with what most people end up tone mapping their images to.

i checked out the the link and like the site!

Way to join the the forum and with your post post, promote your blog. Welcome to the board... I think that photo looks like Gollum is couching behind him.

hmmm bad call on my part then, i associate that contrast with what most people end up tone mapping their images to.

newrmdmike: not a bad call -- you got it. This photo has been tone mapped in a manner typical of HDR methods. In this case Photoshop's Shadow/Highlight adjustment was used to produce that signature effect of midtone posterization.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back