Harmonizing ambient light with OCF

I don't think your over thinking it at all. It's pretty complicated to chart a process that eventually one who tries it comes up that the best approach is to do it in manual through trial and error. Above a lot of the guys mentioned a good starting point but it really depends on the look your going for(6 million looks/approaches).

This is how I've charted for the 580 EXII based on a certain look through alot of trial and error.

Look 1 (e.g. Shooting against the sun, colorful and vibrant)

High Noon : Camera: f11-14, 1/200, ISO100
Flash: 1/2 Power, Distance: 5ft @ 45 degrees Left/Right
Subjects: 2 max
Sunset/Sunrise: Camera: F4-5.6, 1/125. ISO100
Flash: 1/8 Power, Distance: 5ft @ 45degrees Left/Right
Subjects: 2 max

In the early days I charted each look as I did above based upon the controlled which was my equipment vs the time of day and the number of subjects until it was engraved in my thick skull. I think it's too difficult to just have one master chart.

The example I gave you above was the hardest to achieve for moi as it is during the harshest conditions(shooting against the sun). Hope that helps.

In the end the easiest way is to get a flash meter

Memory synapses might a bit faster. :p

But a flash meter is a good place to start. It just doesn't deliver on the finished product.

Fresh off the Flash Bus Tour this week and ready to snap some small flashes. Is this what you want?.
What about outdoors? What about just using OCF for fill, to get the correct exposure of nice blue skies and a backlit subject?
Don't expect miracles, but I'll have a go at it.

I need to master this. I mostly only do on camera flash outdoor. Results are amazingly good if you dont use that much flash power. Almost as good as using a reflector.

Fresh off the Flash Bus Tour this week and ready to snap some small flashes. Is this what you want?.
What about outdoors? What about just using OCF for fill, to get the correct exposure of nice blue skies and a backlit subject?

Any hep or advice is good help or advice. :thumbup:

But a flash meter is a good place to start. It just doesn't deliver on the finished product.

Of course it does, once i have my ambient reading i can set my flashes to what effect i want quickly no trial and error

Any hep or advice is good help or advice. :thumbup:

This is on camera flash aimed directly at subject
974050890_eEeuM-L.jpg

Depending on the conditions, you can also use the sun as rim lighting, backlighting, and other types of light.

DISCLAIMER: I had in-depth discussions with my friend, Jose, after work. These are test shots only. No monkeys were harmed during this shoot. No editing was performed. Okay, let me backup just a second. I did shoot a grey card and sync'd the WB and camera/lens profiles in LR3.

I'm not sure if these will fit the bill Dan, but I went on a hunch.

All shots of Winston taken with a D300 and 50mm f/1.8 lens.

First things first, shoot a grey card.
1243806847_PwVMh-XL.jpg

With Spot Metering, the camera read f/7.1 @ 1/200s (Manual shooting mode)
1243807212_m3D7o-XL.jpg

At a SWAG, I set the flash power (SB800) to 1/4 power
1243807267_S2ePJ-XL.jpg

... A bit too harsh, don't you think? Adjusted down to 1/8 power

1243807308_XcHCx-XL.jpg

A bit better.
Setup for the bare fill flash
1243806965_tG2TV-XL.jpg

I lied because the fill flash used was actually on camera left. :lol:

Leaving the fill on camera left, I added a 24" softbox at 45° camera left. However, I decided to use a hand held light meter... f/10, you say..... , well then

1243806903_dusQZ-XL.jpg

Fill still at 1/8 power and key at 1/4 power
1243807119_PV522-XL.jpg

Setup of Softbox.... I had to quit because of the wind.

1243807067_md7RQ-XL.jpg

Winston thanks you for your indulgence

1243807175_SnzVa-XL.jpg

^^^ Holy ****! Ask and I shall receive, eh?

Looks very doable, but then again, you make all kinds of things look easy. Thanks for going that extra mile for me!

I can't wait to try it for myself.

Maybe tomorrow.

One can only hope.....

^^^ Holy ****! Ask and I shall receive, eh?.....

hehehe..... just messing about. It was more for me than you, but you gave a good reason to go ahead with the idea. A lot of the $hit I shoot is for my learning purposes only. If some of it rubs off, that makes me happy. Otherwise, I still shoot the stupid $hit that helps me learn a bit.

Of course it does, once i have my ambient reading i can set my flashes to what effect i want quickly no trial and error

Right...so it is a good starting point. The finished effect can not be done by the flash meter...that's based on your experience and taste especially
with the creative shots.

Edit: I guess I should clear up that this is based on my shooting style...it may vary with you gsgary.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back