Harris and Lewis September 2019

Tim Tucker 2

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just back from a few days I grabbed while the weather was changeable.

Big skies over Uig Lodge

_DSC5895_sRGB_med.jpg

On the very west coast of Lewis, overlooking the bay at Uig and the North Harris Hills to the south. A fine and warm day out of the ever present wind at this time of year carrying clouds with occasional heavy showers, the kind you have to turn your back towards.

A Clan Gathering above Mangersta Beach

_DSC5829_sRGB_ss.jpg

Perhaps they are assessing the surf, who knows what they get up to when the tourists aren’t looking…

Looking back across the Minch from the inlet at Tarbet

_DSC5310_sRGB_ss.jpg

You may notice that it’s a common place-name in Scotland. From the Gaelic it means crossing or portage point, it’s where you could carry your boat across the land as a shortcut between two bodies of water.

Salt marshes Scarista South Harris

_DSC5281_sRGB_ss.jpg

Cliff Beach (Bhaltos) Lewis

_DSC6039_sRGB_ss.jpg

The heavily peat stained water that runs off the moors and hills crosses the sands to the sea often creating the “mackrel” patterns rich in colour against the sand and blue sky.

Outskirts of Leverburgh, South Harris

_DSC5295_sRGB_ss.jpg

A driecht day among the miles of deeply rocky heather and peat moor interspersed with the flotsam and jetsam of chaotic habitation, the broken lying rotting close around it being far too expensive to ship back to the mainland. The only movement is often in the clouds, water, and the ever-present sheep.

I was going for the film look that imparts a sense of yesterday, a little less bright than the future. Things don’t have to be controlled with precision, 35mm film was rarely focused or exposed that accurately and close was generally good enough. Things can be a little woolly around the edges.

Last edited:
Lovely set, I really like the sky in one and three.........

Some beautiful shots, some are very similar to the central coast of California.

Real nice set, awesome place! Like the men that spent time at Alcatraz, the sheep are debating swimming to freedom but the thought of sharks stop them every time.

Terrific set. Really captured the feeling of the area. My favorites are 4 and 6, what a great moment!

Most reactions

Back