Has anybody ever tried tripods with nylon twine + tent stakes to hold them steady?

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just realized I've never seen this done before, and was wondering if there's some obvious reason why it wouldn't that I'm not thinking of.

Radio towers use guy wires to hold themselves up, why not photography tripods, in windy conditions? Especially if you want to use a reflector and have no assistant in windy conditions.

If there's no reason why this wouldn't work, it would be cheap (<$10) and should be very secure, at the cost of slightly more setup time (pre-attatch string and tie loops ahead of time, and setup is only an extra 30 seconds).

I use sandbags on light stands and tripods.

I use guy ropes and sandbags with my 50' mast.

Have you tried it? Does it work?

1. If there is that much wind, there will still be vibration in the tripod.

2. Tying it down will sure save the camera and tripod from damage.

3. Trying to keep a reflector from flying away is going to be the trick.

I have not, but sure, why wouldn't it work?

The main trouble is going to be that it's a pain in the ass. Two stakes go in but you mess around with rock after rock on the third one. Then you forget how to tie a trucker's hitch, so you can't tension them very well for a while. Then you find it needs to be 6 inches to the left. ARRRRG.

But, if you're cheap and patient, it should work fine.

Another trick:

DSC_6021.jpg

Isn't that extraordinarily heavy to carry around?

No heavier than any of the other camera and video gear I carry. Of course I only use them when setting up a shoot, not when I am walking around taking landscapes. When I am taking LE I will use my heavy duty tripod which is steady as a rock when set up.

Weight bags of various weights are used industry wide - Impact Shot Bag - 25 lb SHB-25 B&H Photo Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222301-REG/Matthews_299887_Junior_Boa_Weight_Bag.html

Vanguard tripods offers this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/707201-REG/Vanguard_SB_100_SB_100_Stone_Bag.html

Oh! Don't forget your tripod has weight limits. Tightening down a nylon line may exceed a leg's limits and fold it.

Last edited:
I just realized I've never seen this done before, and was wondering if there's some obvious reason why it wouldn't that I'm not thinking of.

Radio towers use guy wires to hold themselves up, why not photography tripods, in windy conditions? Especially if you want to use a reflector and have no assistant in windy conditions.

If there's no reason why this wouldn't work, it would be cheap (<$10) and should be very secure, at the cost of slightly more setup time (pre-attatch string and tie loops ahead of time, and setup is only an extra 30 seconds).

Why would you be out shooting in winds extreme enough that you have to tether your tripod down anyway. Let alone wanting to use a reflector at the same time.

Why would you be out shooting in winds extreme enough that you have to tether your tripod down anyway. Let alone wanting to use a reflector at the same time.

Apparently you're new to TPF. Just try it. Post a picture of an F5 tornado from 100 yards away. SOMEONE'S gonna chime in with 'needs fill, maybe you should invest in a reflector'

Because how beautiful the world is is not directly related to how convenient it is to photograph it.
I am confused by your question. Do you only ever go photograph things if it is windless, dry, sunny, 75 degrees, and only if there is a sidewalk leading conveniently to your photo site with free lemonade available when you get there?
If the light is right, then I want to be able to go out and shoot then, not when conditions are less beautiful. Reflectors are often easier and more convenient than flashdue to seeing the results in person and fine tuning more easily. Normally, I would be forced to give up this benefit and settle for flash if it's windy out, but if there's a cheap option that let's me do both, then great! Hence the thread.

Anyway, @ other people, the sandbags sound like they would work just fine, yes, and I have used similar things before (like the backpack above, or nearby furniture or rocks or whatever to steady legs), but 25 POUNDS of gear that serves no other purpose?! I guess that's okay if you own a car and if you're shooting at a location right next to a parking lot or indoors where you're just worried about people bumping into the light, but that seems completely unacceptable for anywhere you have to hike (or bike) to at all.

Apparently you're new to TPF. Just try it. Post a picture of an F5 tornado from 100 yards away. SOMEONE'S gonna chime in with 'needs fill, maybe you should invest in a reflector'

NOT new to the forum. In fact I joined before you.

If im 100 yards away from a F5 tornado taking a photo is not high on my priority list.

Last edited:
If the light is right, then I want to be able to go out and shoot then, not when conditions are less beautiful. Reflectors are often easier and more convenient than flashdue to seeing the results in person and fine tuning more easily. Normally, I would be forced to give up this benefit and settle for flash if it's windy out, but if there's a cheap option that let's me do both, then great!

My point is that that if its windy enough to need to stake down your tripod, the moment you open the reflector the reflector is gone.

the sandbags sound like they would work just fine, yes, and I have used similar things before (like the backpack above, or nearby furniture or rocks or whatever to steady legs), but 25 POUNDS of gear that serves no other purpose?! I guess that's okay if you own a car and if you're shooting at a location right next to a parking lot or indoors where you're just worried about people bumping into the light, but that seems completely unacceptable for anywhere you have to hike (or bike) to at all.

You don't have to hall all the extra weight with you. Simply bring an empty bag with you that you can fill with rocks and dirt and then hang it from the center column of the tripod.

Weight bags of various weights are used industry wide - Impact Shot Bag - 25 lb SHB-25 B&H Photo Video
Matthews Junior Boa Weight Bag 299887 B&H Photo Video

Vanguard tripods offers this - Vanguard SB-100 Stone Bag SB-100 B&H Photo Video

Oh! Don't forget your tripod has weight limits. Tightening down a nylon line may exceed a leg's limits and fold it.

Between carrying sand bags and the old news camera tripods around for a summer I was nice and fit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back