Has anybody seen this socket?.....

Graham Smith 51

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
flash 1.jpg
Hi, all.
This socket on my Neewer NW985N speedlight (for Nikon) measures 13 x 6 mm and the pins are 3.5 mm apart. The centre one is longer than the others. On the manual and all other adverts for this speedilght, this socket is described as a charge or external power socket, but that's all I can find out.
Now, I asked Neewer about it and they said they don't sell a lead that fits it, but they think there would be other leads out there. They couldn't even tell me what the power requirements would be! Not very helpful!
The fact is, Neewer don't actually manufacture anything, they just market rebranded versions of other Chinese products. I have yet to discover the original make of this speedlight, so I can't find an appropriate lead.
So, does anyone recognise it, and does it correspond to any other manufacturer's charge socket? If anyone can help me find a lead, I'd be grateful. After all, the socket is there, and it would be helpful if I could run this speedlight off external power to save batteries while working in the studio.

look for power cords for the 580EX.

upload_2016-4-14_6-57-28.png

Braineack: Thanks for that. It certainly looks the right plug. And guess what - I found that Neewer make the lead - NEEWER® PB820 Flash Battery Pack Power Cable for Canon: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo - funny that they couldn't tell me about it!
I still wonder about the power supply to connect it to, though... Do you think that a power supply suitable for the Canon speedlight would work with my Neewer one, since it has the same plug, or would it be too risky?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have a manual? If so, look for the charger specifications and compare them to the Canon specifications.

The only thing said anywhere - manual included - is that it requires 4 AA cells, which is pretty standard. So does the Canon. This power supply (like others) holds 8 cells in, apparently, two banks of 4 in parallel - Neewer External Flashgun Battery Pack for Canon 580EX: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo. It says it can supply power from either 4 or all 8 cells. Now, the thing is, what I'd really like to do is hook up the supply cable to an AC supply (say, a 2A 6V transformer) and be free of batteries while working indoors. But how can I find out the pin connections? Hmmmm.....

no you can't do that. and why would you want to?

1. Newer may not have configured the circuitry in your flash to accommodate the DC feed through that connection.

2. Without rectifying the AC over to DC, you could damage the flash circuitry.

3. What do you hope to gain by going through all this cobbling of parts?

4. Indoors is the easiest place to change batteries.

Designer:
1. If so, why put a socket there labelled "charge/external power"
2. Well, of course I meant a proper rectified, transformed supply as per laptop supplies etc. By AC , I meant mains transformed.
3. I would gain freedom from keep changing batteries, like with a proper studio flash. Not vital but convenient. Also if using the flash for a longish time, e.g. at a wedding (which I do) a longer-lasting power pack would be useful. My old Mecablitz unit back in the day used to have a whopping great lead-acid 6V battery pack in a sling over my shoulder.

I guess I just felt that since there was the socket on the unit, there ought to be something to plug into it. Still, if it's not going to be possible, I'll forget about it altogether.

Well, been doing quite a bit of work with this flash, and finding it goes through batteries really quickly, so I need to find some way of giving it external power. I think I'd better go to my local good camera shop to ask for advice.

That's what I'd do, talk to people that have done what you want to do and find out how they did it.
It makes more sense than asking those who haven't done it before.
Good luck.
This is the kind of Yankee ingenuity I like to see.

Just so everyone understands - this is the kind of thing I'm looking for.:Neewer PB3000 3000mAh Speedlite External Portable Flash: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo or this - Flash Battery Pack/Power Pack II with Coiled Cord for: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
These are both high-capacity batteries charged from a supplied mains charger. They are EXACTLY what I need!
All I need to know now is whether or not the pin connections on the Canon power socket and on my Neewer one will be the same, since they are physically the same. And can I find out? NO CHANCE.

Build one. Its a very simple task.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back