Has anyone mentioned a simple scanner?

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I'm quite new here, I don't know if any on this forum mentioned using a plain scanner instead of a camera. It is the simplest method, yet one of the more interesting alternative ones out there.

I usually place an object on the scanner, lift the cover completely and scan. Final touch-ups in Photoshop (dirt specs removed, occasional cat hairs -I have two cats!) and voila! A new image.

I would post one here but since I'm a newbie I don't know yet how to do it. Someone help?? :roll:
==========

Well, I found an image hosting where I posted my scanned picture. It's a garlic head, sorry if it doesn't come through too well, they limit the size of the picture to 120K.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/491218/garlicHead01.jpg

Hey that's interesting. Kinda like the digital version of a photogram maybe.

If you want to show the image in your post, then you would just need to use the [img tags around it [/img but with both sides of the brackets.

Seems to me I've read about this technique somewhere, but I haven't tried it. You did get a nice image there! Seems you would be limited only by what will fit comfortably on your scanner. Very interesting, thanks for sharing that. :D

There are a couple of local artists in my town who call themselves "scanographers". While it is sort of interesting to use things in a different manner then they were designed, I have yet to see a "scanograph" that particularly interests me (although this probably has more to do with the artist than the technique).

For some reason this reminds me of something. I stumbled onto a site on the web of a dentist who brings flowers and such into his office at night and x-rays them and makes BW prints (I can't remember if he uses traditional or digital printing process). They are gorgeous. I think the site is easy to find with a search for "x-ray photography".

ScannerAsCamera-GoldBorder.jpg

This was an exact school assignment I had to do last year :) I WAS SOOO close to winning an award for it.

The border was in Photoshop of course. And I purposely placed everything the way they are there because I knew it would create depth.

oriecat said:
Hey that's interesting. Kinda like the digital version of a photogram maybe.

Yep, that's right. I find whitish veggies to do the best, be that garlic, leeks, green onions, white onions, pearl onions and so on. You get my drift... I wonder what egg shells look like. Scanner, here I come.

Most reactions

Back