have detailing busines...need proper camera

Envious Eric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok ladies and gentlemen, I need your help...

i am on a budget of sort ($200ish), and I need to get a camera that is good at taking both up close shots of scratches and swirl marks on cars, as well as full car photos. I need this camera to be of the point and shoot type, not a slr (unless somewhere sells them for close to $200, which I doubt)

This camera is for business use primarily, and then personal use.

settings and things like that I will browse the sight...

I have used a nikon s1 and a canon sd 2?? camera in the past...I liked the nikon better, but some other detailers have told me to get a canon sd1000...thoughts?

thanks for your help

eric

First Hi and welcome to the forum Eric.
Second, about any $200 point and shoot can document the things you want. Lighting will be what highlights the damage and dings. Don't depend on the built in flash. The light should come from an angle perpendicular to the camera that adds shadow and depth the the damage. A good quartz 300 watt light that I'm sure you have in the shop will do the trick. Setting a custom white balance so the paint color is accurate will be the biggest challenge. Whatever camera you decide on, see that it has the ability to set a custom W.B. and your set.

In all honesty, The Canon SD750 or SD1000 will do fine. If you can stretch the budget a little, Get the Canon SD850IS. All three of these take very good pictures.

i can see horrid swirl marks with my camera phone on my Nokia as long as i have the halogens pointed at it (then again thats my black car!) but my white one, no way...spring is around the corner and my PC7424 is ready for work, haha

be sure to pickup a tripod as well

so what you are saying is get any camera, and play with the settings to take the better picture???

now i just need to figure out what settings for the situation at hand I guess...

I agree. Lighting will be the most important thing. But most any 200 dollar camera will work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back