Have ever used a 16 blade Helios lens?

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For Christmas, my Mom got me a vintage Canon 200mm f/2.8 lens. She knows I don't mind the old lenses at all and had read that this was a great lens, and it is. It is in perfect condition too, but it is FD mount. And they just don't adapt over to EF very well. So as much as I hate to I am going to sell it and get something that will adapt over better, like an M42 mount.

Now to the point of this post. I am looking at a 1975 Helios 44-2 2/58 with 16 blade aperture. Have any of you used one of these? Or do you have Helios experience at all?

I have a Helios 44m-4 2/58 m42 mount that I’ve adapted for Fuji with a Fotasy adapter. Adapter is good, MF is easy enough, changing apertures manually is great with Fuji. Lens is sharp with an interesting bokeh. This is not the 16 blade so can’t comment on that. If you look on Flickr there are a couple of Helios groups you can see the output.

I have a Helios 44m-4 2/58 m42 mount that I’ve adapted for Fuji with a Fotasy adapter. Adapter is good, MF is easy enough, changing apertures manually is great with Fuji. Lens is sharp with an interesting bokeh. This is not the 16 blade so can’t comment on that. If you look on Flickr there are a couple of Helios groups you can see the output.
I am used to manual focus and aperture so that isn't going to bother me at all. The only reason I am looking at one with 16 blades is really just because I have always wanted to play with a lens like that, I bet it gives a wonderful bokeh. I just wanted to make sure that the Helios lenses are alright, but like all vintage lenses, I bet they are built like a tank!
There are a few sellers on eBay that are in the Ukraine, and they refurbish them. The price isn't too bad since they are in great condition.

I am used to manual focus and aperture so that isn't going to bother me at all. The only reason I am looking at one with 16 blades is really just because I have always wanted to play with a lens like that, I bet it gives a wonderful bokeh. I just wanted to make sure that the Helios lenses are alright, but like all vintage lenses, I bet they are built like a tank!
There are a few sellers on eBay that are in the Ukraine, and they refurbish them. The price isn't too bad since they are in great condition.

I bought mine on Amazon. I bought another lens off of eBay and I was not happy that when I got it it was not exactly what was represented but by the time I paid for shipping because it came from Ukraine and then if I want to return it it wasn’t worth it. If you can find it on Amazon I’d go there before. eBay.

Oooh, 16 blades. But still, I prefer to buy from reputable sellers. Anyone's description as 'good' depends on what they think is good, which may not be what you think is good. I've found that on ebay and with Amazon marketplace sellers, you never know... I'm not familiar with Helios lenses but I have my share of old cameras & lenses that are tanks! That I like. Hope you find one.

I bought mine on Amazon. I bought another lens off of eBay and I was not happy that when I got it it was not exactly what was represented but by the time I paid for shipping because it came from Ukraine and then if I want to return it it wasn’t worth it. If you can find it on Amazon I’d go there before. eBay.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. There are a few sellers from Ukraine with these lenses, do you remember the name of the seller?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. There are a few sellers from Ukraine with these lenses, do you remember the name of the seller?

Sold by: lens_watch_nice_seller

Most reactions

New Topics

Back