Have I Created Some Competition?

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I upgraded I asked the DW if she might be interested in keeping my K3ii and taking up photography. She's never done anything but point and shoot, so hands on a real camera was pretty intimidating for her. Also a couple of months ago we got together with a group of friends and formed a loosely organized photo club. We have meetings that begin with a short teaching/question/answer session followed by group shoots. She's been practicing, and asking a lot of questions. Today was a landscape practice. When I downloaded her photos from the card, I was a little shocked to say the least. I cleaned them up a little, ran the standard presets and cropped, but that's it. Pretty good for someone starting off I think, I'm really proud of her. Published with the express permission of Ms. Smoke.
landscape06262018_504.jpg

landscape06262018_505.jpg

landscape06262018_506.jpg

landscape06262018_529.jpg

landscape06262018_530.jpg

Nice back yard shots......:)

One the couple's in the group own a wedding venue called the Barn at Garrard Circle The Wedding Barn at Garrard Circle LLC - Boaz Alabama it was a run down old barn that they've gradually restored it and the grounds around it with an eclectic assortment of junk. Hard telling what you might find walking around the grounds. The lady of the barn seems to have this knack of coming up with decorating ideas.

I'd say you have a shooting companion! Should make for some great experiences :)

Normally she doesn't take directions well :angry: but with this she's been surprisingly good to work with. I'm hoping she maintains that interest.

Especially liked #1- excellent set!

I'll pass on your comments. Out of the 30 to 40 shots she took she had roughly half that were okay, with these being the best. Right now she's kind of at the point where she knows she did good but not quite sure why or how she got there. LOL

I'll pass on your comments. Out of the 30 to 40 shots she took she had roughly half that were okay, with these being the best. Right now she's kind of at the point where she knows she did good but not quite sure why or how she got there. LOL
I've been mashing shutters for 45 years and I still know just how she feels!

I've been mashing shutters for 45 years and I still know just how she feels!

Same here, which kinda makes me a little jealous, because she's only been at it a couple of months. :apologetic:

I'll be honest and say they don't make me feel anything - well, most of them - but here are some thoughts regarding each photo that may function as some sort of "lesson" or take-home message, based on my own opinions from looking at these shots.

The composition does not work for me. It's like a heavy-contrast snap of a chicken, with a totally irrelevant tree trunk in the left side of the frame. If this chicken is to made into a photograph, I would try to get a perspective that we do not usually see as standing humans. Get down on the chicken's level, move closer, and try to isolate some portion of the chicken. It looks like the chicken and the tree it stands on are made from the same piece of wood. Perhaps emphasizing the craftmanship or this interesting detail could make for a more interesting idea? I'm not sure what would work, but taking 5-10 minutes inspecting compositions before shooting might reveal something. Also, the lighting (flash used?) is quite harsh and unattractive, making it look like it was taken during the night. Natural light would work better here, I think.

Many of the same thoughts as for #1. Lots of negative space that does not add anything to the image. The subject itself is dull, but if I try to look past that, then the subject could be emphasized better by moving closer, perhaps? Getting rid of that empty space. I like the curvy shape of the roof. Perhaps a dead-on angle with the brick background could work? That might be interesting, especially with the asymmetric hinges.

This is the one image that makes me feel something. I can imaging an old couple that used to sit there. It could be in their favourite park, or perhaps their backyard, but we do not know. But now the chairs are empty, and it looks like no one has used them in quite some time, which makes the whole scene feel a bit sad. I like it.

Same thoughts as for #s 1 and 2. Find an angle that removes unwanted clutter, such as the bamboo stick. I'm actually not sure what the subject is, here. The lantern? The tree trunk? The picture is too busy, I think.

The first thing I notice is the top-down perspective. I think this image could benefit much from getting lower, and looking up on the plant. We're used to seeing plants from above, so this image is not interesting to me. Get down and move close. Wide angle. Alternatively, try to get the image dead-on from above, and filling the entire frame with the plants. Perhaps go black and white, emphasizing the shapes and contrast of the leaves. That might make for an interesting abstract.

The "eye" takes time to train, and is forever developing. Everyone takes dull images. When I "look for subjects" I become less critical, and try make dull things into something interesting. Restraint is a good thing, I think. Try not to indulge every impulse to make a photograph, but instead slow down and really consider if it is worth making. Look for compositions and stories. That's why I like the picture of the chairs. There is a story in that photo, even though I am making it up as I look at the photo.

Last edited:
@Compaq while I appreciate the comments these were posted more for show then serious critque. As stated in the OP they were taken by my wife who up until about 4 weeks ago had never used anything but a cell phone, and knew nothing of photography. I've been leading a photography club where she and other newbies are gradually learning all the points you brought up.

@Compaq while I appreciate the comments these were posted more for show then serious critque. As stated in the OP they were taken by my wife who up until about 4 weeks ago had never used anything but a cell phone, and knew nothing of photography. I've been leading a photography club where she and other newbies are gradually learning all the points you brought up.

Do whatever you want with my thoughts. I just thought they could be useful to an aspiring photographer. It's great that you're leading a photography club, going through artistic concepts of photography.

When I upgraded I asked the DW if she might be interested in keeping my K3ii and taking up photography. She's never done anything but point and shoot, so hands on a real camera was pretty intimidating for her. Also a couple of months ago we got together with a group of friends and formed a loosely organized photo club. We have meetings that begin with a short teaching/question/answer session followed by group shoots. She's been practicing, and asking a lot of questions. Today was a landscape practice. When I downloaded her photos from the card, I was a little shocked to say the least. I cleaned them up a little, ran the standard presets and cropped, but that's it. Pretty good for someone starting off I think, I'm really proud of her. Published with the express permission of Ms. Smoke.
View attachment 159733
View attachment 159734
View attachment 159735
View attachment 159736
View attachment 159737

That's neat. Better you than me. I enjoy photography, every time the wife has come along, it's been a problem.

@Compaq I meant no offense as your comments were valid. It's a little difficult leading a group of seniors with no prior knowledge to fall back on. I've found they get overwhelmed easily by to much information at once. Yesterday's meeting covered elements of composition. Rule of thirds, Golden spiral, Rebatement, headroom, nose room, leading lines, textures, patterns, and basic color theory, so they had a lot thrown at them. These shots were from the practice afterward. The others haven't posted their work yet, which I'm dying to see. I shot very little myself, because I was having to much fun watching them as they recognized things I'd just discussed.

Most reactions

Back