Have to upgrade Nikon D200 HELP!!!!

Rayne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to upgrade my D200 for an ongoing hot pixel issue. What would be the best upgrade? I will be staying with Nikon. I shoot portrait, outdoors, action

Would the D300 be a decent upgrade?

105 micro af
18-200 af
50mm af
sb600

Last edited:
What sort of lenses do you have? because unless you have a large selection of quality dx glass, I'd recommend a d700 full-frame body.

I'd try to find a good used D300 if money is an issue, or the D300s if you want to buy new.

The D700 is an awesome body, but it's $2500 so it depends on your price range. Also keep in mind it will be upgraded in the next few months (probably announced this summer to be released in the fall) so if you buy it now, you will have the lesser model in just a few months.

D300/D300s gets my vote. I love my D300 and will be keeping it even after the new D700 is released as my back-up body.

This D200 is under warranty and I was told to return it and ask for special request Since it was serviced already 4 times for same problem.

The D700 would be my first pick but in reality is it too far fetched that they would give me the D700 over the D300?

Also here is the list of lenses I currently have

Nikon 105 micro vr af
Nikon 18-200 vr af
Nikon 50mm
sb600

they would give you..? What do you mean?

This D200 is under warranty and I was told to return it and ask for special request Since it was serviced already 4 times for same problem.

The D700 would be my first pick but in reality is it too far fetched that they would give me the D700 over the D300?

Also here is the list of lenses I currently have

Nikon 105 micro vr af
Nikon 18-200 vr af
Nikon 50mm
sb600

Give you? No, they will not give you a D700, and it's highly unlikely they will give you a D300. They will either attempt to fix your body again, or give you another refurbished D200. The likelihood of them giving you a superior body to what you own is zero. Send in a D200, and you will receive a D200. Perhaps they will give you credit for what you paid for the D200 which you can put towards a new body.

You will not receive a D700 for your D200 though, you can be sure of that. I am not sure why you would even think that :lol:

Thanks

Sometimes things can sound too good to be true.
The service person I talked too said to ask for the d90 or d300 body as a replacement. Either way, I would be happy just for the credit to invest in the D300 body. I didn't even no they could do that. The D700 is out of my price range.

But I made up my mind on getting the D300 if I can do that with credit :D

The D700 is an obvious choice, but the D300 would be a more robust camera than the D90.

Keep in mind that you can use any FX lens on any DX Nikon body. The reverse has penalties.

What would they replace it with since the D200 has been out of production for quite some time now.

The last big sell off of new stock was over a year ago so I wonder if what you have is an extended warranty?

What is the recurring problem that it has been serviced 4 times for and how long ago was it you bought the D200 new?

Kmh,

I believe what I have is an extended warranty. Mid Febuary 2010 was one year on the warranty. When I first had the Hot Pixel problem and sent it in for repair back in say August of 09 (would have to pull out the pappers) I was told they extended my warranty an extra 6 months because it was a manufacturer defect. And yes, I bought the D200 new.

The problem I have been having is blown out / hot pixels.

Last edited:
Kmh,

I believe what I have is an extended warranty. Mid Febuary 2010 was one year on the warranty. When I first had the Hot Pixel problem and sent it in for repair back in say August of 09 (would have to pull out the pappers) I was told they extended my warranty an extra 6 months because it was a manufacturer defect. And yes, I bought the D200 new.

The problem I have been having is blown out / hot pixels.
Hot pixels are just part of the game.

Post some sample images.

Im not sure what you meen when you say hot pixels are just part of the game. Could you explain?

Im not sure what you meen when you say hot pixels are just part of the game. Could you explain?
$hit happens with age and useage. Part and parcel of the game. A few dead pixies can be removed easily.

"$hit happens" it is way more then just a few dead pixles. I feel I shouldn't have to spend lots of time editing out tons of dead pixles from eye balls and everywheres else on just one image. I am also not a photoshop pro either.

Im just trying to figure out what is the most reasonable way to go here. Your reply was not helpful.

The D700 is an obvious choice

No it's not. By far not. A D700 when the main lens is an 18-200mm? no No NO! Why put your money into a body where you are intentionally going to cripple it by limiting the image size, sensor usage, and not only limiting it, but also limiting it with an overall very average performing lens.

The "obvious" choice is not so obvious and I think a lot of people here would easily recommend getting a D300 and pouring $1000 into lenses that would actually give you a future upgrade path to a D700/800/whatever.

Hot pixels are not necessarily an issue in many circumstances. It takes something quite special to make a pixel permanently stuck even on a well used camera. So is it really stuck? Drop the ISO to 100 and take a photo at 1/8000th with the lens cap on. Is the dead pixel gone? If so then it will only show up at a certain point so drop the shutterspeed till it shows up.

I get 2 dead pixels when I shoot below 1/3rd ISO640 or 8min at ISO200.

Most reactions

Back