have you used model mayhem?

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I feel like I'm running out of friends and neighbors to shoot.. so I'm creating an account on MM. Curious if others have used this? Anything good/bad to say? I see a lot of ummm.. trash on there. :lmao: I am pretty modest and think I may have a hard time finding models to work with who will see eye to eye but we shall see!

I haven't used it, but I've heard of it. Guess I'll have to take a look and see what you mean by "trash" :)

I have an account but haven't contacted any models there to shoot. I still have a few people that I need to do first. Although someone with modeling experience would be nice at this point.

Well, the men of tpf may disagree with my trash classification but especially considering I tote my lil man around I'm not about to be photographing barely hidden hoohas.

Well there is no screening whatsoever, so basically anybody who feels like being a model can just say they are one. Do not expect anybody to have any experience at all unless their portfolio proves that they have it.

Also, you'll get a lot of unprofessional people from there if you're not careful. As in, a good portion of the models (and probably photographers too, but I don't have any experience with them) treat it more like a dating service and might attempt to hit on you and/or sleep with you, etc. Somewhat less of an issue if you only want to shoot normal fully clothed shoots and not nudes or boudoir or fitness, etc.

If you screen the models carefully though, you can get some really good people to work with. Look for:
1) Professional looking portfolios. Even if they don't have much experience, you want to still get a sense for whether their portfolio looks like they care about TRYING to achieve art and real modeling, or if they look like "oh hey my ex boyfriend had a nice camera and took some racy photos of me with a dirty lens on a whim" sort of shots.

2) How cogently they have written their profile. Legit models will normally have a specific list of kinds of shoots they're excited about, will have reasonable sounding professional-style policies listed, will explain about themselves more, use proper grammar, etc.

3) Professional sounding correspondence if/when you contact them.

I have an account but haven't contacted any models there to shoot. I still have a few people that I need to do first. Although someone with modeling experience would be nice at this point.

There's one in my area I plan to contact.. and maybe a second.

Well there is no screening whatsoever, so basically anybody who feels like being a model can just say they are one. Do not expect anybody to have any experience at all unless their portfolio proves that they have it.

Also, you'll get a lot of unprofessional people from there if you're not careful. As in, a good portion of the models (and probably photographers too, but I don't have any experience with them) treat it more like a dating service and might attempt to hit on you and/or sleep with you, etc. Somewhat less of an issue if you only want to shoot normal fully clothed shoots and not nudes or boudoir or fitness, etc.

If you screen the models carefully though, you can get some really good people to work with. Look for:
1) Professional looking portfolios. Even if they don't have much experience, you want to still get a sense for whether their portfolio looks like they care about TRYING to achieve art and real modeling, or if they look like "oh hey my ex boyfriend had a nice camera and took some racy photos of me with a dirty lens on a whim" sort of shots.

2) How cogently they have written their profile. Legit models will normally have a specific list of kinds of shoots they're excited about, will have reasonable sounding professional-style policies listed, will explain about themselves more, use proper grammar, etc.

3) Professional sounding correspondence if/when you contact them.

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

I have already weeded through most of whats in my city because they are clearly morons.

Well, the men of tpf may disagree with my trash classification but especially considering I tote my lil man around I'm not about to be photographing barely hidden hoohas.

There for sure are a lot of "interesting" people on there. I decided when I started what I would and wouldn't shoot and that is on the no list. I don't blame you for not "exposing" your lil man to that.

Yep.. definitely gonna have to check it out. :D lmao

I have never used them. I always found interesting people to shoot when I was PB'ing. I will ask anyone to model for me. If you see a uniqueness in someone you know or have seen, just ask them. It never hurts to ask. I think working with non-models is better experience because you have to guide them and show them how to pose.

I have never used them. I always found interesting people to shoot when I was PB'ing. I will ask anyone to model for me. If you see a uniqueness in someone you know or have seen, just ask them. It never hurts to ask. I think working with non-models is better experience because you have to guide them and show them how to pose.

PB'ing? I'm usually pretty good to go with forum lingo and I've got no clue here. lol

Honestly I don't know if it's something I'd be interested in. I learn as much as I can in photography, try to be versatile, which includes people.. but ultimately my interest is in nature and wildlife.

People typically don't interest me too much, with some rare exceptions. I've been in LE too long.

PB'ing? I'm usually pretty good to go with forum lingo and I've got no clue here. lol

probably = portfolio building

Honestly I don't know if it's something I'd be interested in. I learn as much as I can in photography, try to be versatile, which includes people.. but ultimately my interest is in nature and wildlife.

People typically don't interest me too much, with some rare exceptions. I've been in LE too long.

Shooter, remember that we live in the flat lands here, so the nature and wildlife is all the same after a while. lol

Lol, yes locally that's true. It gets a little more interesting around the Wichita Wildlife area.. and east towards the Ozarks.

I also get the opportunity to travel. With photography a big part of my life now, that travel will be used for that purpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back