Having a moment thinking through photography, and asking some questions

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My question is mainly aimed at amateurs, that is, not those who take on paid jobs or sessions.

I am still a noob learning, and have these thematic periods: lately I've been taking trying to capture ducks and seagulls. Earlier, around Christmas, I was in a sunset mode. I go out, in average, around 1 time a week? Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Also, when do you consider yourself a photographer? When do you consider your photos "your work"? When you get paid? When you've decided on a few niches? When people, either on here or in real life, mention your photos? I feel like a guy with a camera, that tries to learn. Lately I've been wanting to plan my next investments, even if they are years into the future. The only difference between me using my camera and my brother using my camera, is that I try to think about the lighting, background, composition, shutter speeds, aperture, iso values, landscape or portrait oriented, lines, textures, perspectives etc etc. That doesn't make me a photographer, in my opinion. Anyone can consider those elements. Also, I find it hard to critique my own photos, and tend to like those that you gents and ladies complement on here, and tend to dislike those that receive bad (helpful) criticism. That might not be ideal, as you all see different things, and people develop different styles. However, I look at myself still in the learning stage, trying to grasp the basics of good photography, and have not yet developed my own style, and not really fallen down on a field in photography. I am extremely fond of the nature (like a true Norwegian should be:p), and would like to try and capture it. I come from a mountainous and fjordous (is that a word? auto-correct says no:p) place that has great possibilities. Also, I'm an animal lover (in a normal way, that is), and would like to try and capture some birds and stuff, but I'm not as set on this as landscapes. Sunsets intrigue me, I simply love those. Also, I've been fooling around with my siblings at home, taking some bad, amateur "portraits" of them doing weird stuff. If I had proper lighting, perhaps a sheet or something as a neutral background (and not our furniture) they could prove to be very nice portraits; which means they lack everything except the poses LOL!

So, I've been talking about investments with my family, and they seem to believe that $1300 is "too much for you to spend on this, especially as you might not stick with it". I see their arguments, but I am feeling very limited by my 50mm prime. I need a tripod, but not a cheap one that won't be usable out in the nature. I really want an ultra wide angle lens (tokina 11-16 f/2.8) for taking some vast landscapes. Also, I don't feel I reach very long with the 50mm, and would therefore like a telezoom, maybe a 70-200 mm.

However, I've always been afraid to spend money. I always think before buying something expensive: "Do I really need this. Am I going to use it?" I don't have much money to begin with, and this can prove to be expensive. Also, all ultra wide angle lenses for APS-C sensor cameras cost roughly the same, $200 doesn't really matter to me. If I'm spending 450, I could also spend 600 if it gives me a superior lens.

This sort of snowballed on me, it wasn't supposed to be this much to read. If you've read everything, well, then I thank you for your attention :D

Perhaps someone has any deep, existential insights to come with based on life long reflections of their own photographic career? If you could start from scratch again, how would you go about (based on your knowledge today, ofc)?

Regards,
Compaq (who just has had an exam in examen philosophicum)

"Photographer" is just a label with no real significance unless you are asking to be paid for taking photographs, in which case your business card needs to say "photographer" and you need to present yourself that way. The rest of us just do what we are driven to do and don't need to label ourselves or try to differentiate ourselves from all the other people who have cameras. You obviously feel the need to do this, so go ahead and do it and don't worry about it. As for subject matter/themes, you will settle on some that work for you, and then these will evolve as you spend more time working with images. As for money, it is hard to say what anyone should do, but all hobbies cost money and you can't do everything at once, so figure out what you need most and get it, then take it from there.

Take good pics, list your price on your website. They will come to you.

I don't get very hung up on these things. I also don't think you need to be paid to consider yourself a photographer. Plenty of people do this as a hobby, as artists and don't make a dime even though their work is excellent. I'm not going to try to decipher WHEN you can call yourself one because it's really not important.

As for the money, yes it is tough to explain and justify such expensive equipment sometimes. I didn't buy a single new piece for 6 years. My husband is ready to have a heart attack after my recent upgrades.

Anyway, I wouldn't over think it too much. Have fun shooting, buy things when you can afford it.

Ohh, I don't feel the need to label myself as a "photographer", just wondering if it is a protected title, so to speak, and whether you think of yourselves as one.

I think a wide angle lens will be my first investment...

If its your hobby, and it does not effect your ability to take care of your household, spend as much damn money as you please. Well at least thats my honest opinion on the subject.

I've seen people spend upwards of $6k on a turbo upgrade that may or may not net them just a few hp and f/lbs of tourqe. All this knowing they will never make a single dime with it. Your fun is your fun. As long as it doens't hurt the family budget.

p.s. it doesn't hurt to stop by the jewelry store on the way home fromt he camera store.

Just wanted to add in that I think even the "pros" are still learning. The fact that you're still learning techniques and everything doesn't make you any less of a photographer. Nobody knows everything about anything.

Im really glad the OP made this topic, I feel like it is a great one. This is going to sound super stupid and corny but bear with me.

I dont even like calling myself a photographer, it makes me feel uncomfortable. Ive been taking photos 'seriously' since I was 15-16 which puts me at a good 7 years doing this. Photography is kind of falling in love, there is no definitive start or end its more of a slow progression. Dont worry about when you 'become' a photographer because thats not a metamorphosis that you will see, one day youll wake up and it will just happen.

For me I realized I was a 'photographer' when I found myself thinking about photography most of my waking day. Im the same guy who dumped $10k into a turbo engine build so there are probably a few loose screws in my head anyways.

There is a very active used camera gear marketplace.

If you spend $1300 on gear, and then lose interest in photography, you can recover a large portion of that $1300 by selling the gear.

For infrequent use, good lenses can be rented, however rental costs cannot be partially recovered like purchase costs can by selling owned gear.

Interesting post and answers. I can't add to what has already been posted other than where you ask:

"If you could start from scratch again, how would you go about (based on your knowledge today, ofc)?"

I would definitely resist the temptation to buy so many gimicky accesssories like the Fisheye attachment, macro attachment and wide angled attachment, various coloured diffusers and a whole bunch of other stuff which individually were relatively cheap but looking back, I could have bought a decent lens instead. True, they were fun to try out for a while but if I were starting again I would only buy the things I needed at the time.

I think the most useful thing I did was to do a short photography course which really helped me understand the basics.

Interesting answers indeed!

May I ask apprx how many pictures you guys have taken? I think I'm around 5000. The camera is closing in on 10300, but I bought it used. That is in a period of 6 months. Of course, when I'm filming around with those "portraits", I often shoot in cont. mode just to be the weird perv making grunting sounds.

Most reactions

Back