Having difficulty with illuminated products, may I have a critique please.

LuxChroma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I make illuminated wall art to help pay my way through college, and am struggling to create acceptable contextual/editorial photographs of my products. I am hoping someone is able to give me some pointers on how to bring my products alive through photography techniques and prop selection. The contextual/editorial picture in the attached gallery seems awkward and out of place due to it's grey overtone, something I have difficulty dealing with considering the nature of the products. What can I do to make this better?

$1.jpg$2.jpg$3.jpg$4.jpg$5.jpg$6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not MUCH help, but perhaps a LITTLE higher on the first one might get rid of that post. On a side note, I want the hell out of that light. Vault 101 FTW

FWIW: #1 is the best of this group. I think you could just skip pictures such as 2, 3, 4, 5, and show #6 with the light on and the dimmer well away from the sculpture. People don't want to see the dimmer, and they are probably not interested in the back at all.

Excuse me if I have misinterpreted your problem.

The wall looks grey because it is underexposed a bit.
I would use a levels layer to increase the exposure of the whites and then mask out the sculpture to bring back the original color.

$levels.jpg$3llllllllll.jpg

@minicoop1985: You can google search my user name to find my site. WTB SugarBombs, 25 caps.
@Designer: You're right, most customers don't care about the back, however, I do get some emails asking how the design works despite having a clear description of the item's function.
@The_Traveler: Thanks! This is what I was looking for. Being a bit new, I never used a layer mask before and it seems like this will really brighten those pictures.

If anyone has suggestions on the props I should use for the editorial/contextual images, I am all ears.

One way of dealing with the wall exposure and the light source is to take two shots from the same point: (1) nicely exposed room / wall and no lamp and (2) same shot but now with the lamp and exposed to get the best of the lamp. Then blend the two in photoshop, gimp, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back