VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Stereo Mic'ing, Response Patterns and Shooting Style
[2019-1222 11:06 subtitle corrected]

[2019-1225 18:47 Changed Topic title and minor formatting corrections]
While looking into the Sennheiser MKE440 mic I recognized the ideas behind it and after seeing some "review" clips on YouTube, it seems to be close in performance to the mic system on my JVC GS-TD1. I have a few clips on YouTube recorded on this camcorder, but for a "demonstration" point of view, this one is probably the most useful. It is technically the worst, but that was due to the circumstances it was made under, and the problems in the video are "good information" too.

As I recall, this was probably my first recording using this camcorder beyond "testing one, two, three." The camcorder I had been using recently was the Canon Vixia R40. I don't think I bought the Sony CX240 until later. The R40 mics have a very broad (probably cardiod) sensitivity pattern and very flat, Hi-Fi-like frequency response. They are more more directional than mics on "hybrid" interchangeable lens cameras, which point the mics upward for more "omni-directional" coverage, but there is quite a bit of sound from off-camera. Indoors, it has more reverberation than I like.

The JVC GS-TD1, on the other hand was designed to mimic characteristics "human hearing". The mics were set wide apart and were directional (super-cardiod pattern), and I think the response pattern is more "middle range" (rolled off slightly both at the top and bottom).

The result is that the audio is "focussed" in the direction the camera is pointed, and sounds from "off camera" sources are suppressed. I knew all this I recorded this, but I didn't know how significant the differences would be.

I recorded this at a trade show and the group had a small space with no walls, so there was the usual random noise all around, and there was not much space for me to work. I ended up about 1M from the cello player and about 1.5M from the first violinist. I did not have headphones, so I would not have any idea of the results until I reviewed the file later. I started the recording aimed at the two violinists because I thought that being farther away, they might be weakly recorded. At about 50 seconds, I panned to the right, to the viola and cello. At about 2:12, I panned left back towards the violinists, but not as far at the start of the recording, and then at around 2:18 I panned into the middle to their logo-sign.

The Result:

The resulting sound was not horrible, but I was not happy with it. Because of the directionality of the mic system, the viola and cello are very weak in the first section. When the cello is in view, the sound is actually reasonably balanced with the violins on the left quieter, but still sufficiently prominent. The rest is likewise acceptably balanced, varying noticeably, but not unpleasantly depending on where I am pointing the camera. I could probably have "chased" the balance with cross-fading in post, to make the whole recording better, but I did not have the time. I had planned to get in touch with GTA Strings and ask if I could record a practice session to post to YouTube, but when I checked their website, I found that they already had many videos. So I posted what I had, with the hope that they might get some interest, but I shelved the idea of getting in touch with them to do more.

This experience made me re-think my approach to using this camcorder. In general, when using the GS-TD1, I find I do not like to use too much panning. Mostly, I try to find a good location and then "lock it down". I am aware of when I have more leeway for using panning and zooming techniques, but even then I don't use much. Those videos tend to rely on the performance instead of camera techniques. This is the approach that would probably be best for using the Sennheiser MKE440 mic.

"DSC01236 -1a"
The JVC GS-TD1 with a Rode VideoMicro mounted with its "wind sock".

"[3D] 20150125 GTA Strings Toronto"
NOTE: This is a 3D file. YouTube can convert this to 2D, but I don't have the details of how to do this since YouTube's last changes to 3D support.
[Length 03:33]
""

DSC01236 -1a.jpg

Last edited:
SoulfulofFunk

I was hoping to find out how to view 3D files on YouTube in 2D by now but I have not found the solution, so unless you have 3D viewing support locally, you will see 2 frames side-by-side, with horizontal anamorphic compression. But for now, I am posting these links to illustrate stereo sound, so it will not be important.

This is actually my favorite video made with this camcorder. I like the music, it was well performed and it reminds me of the warm sunny end-of-day I spent listening to street jazz and recording performances. In particular, the sound is perfectly recorded -- in stereo. If you are not accustomed to street performances like this one, you might ask "what stereo?" If you listen for it, it will sound mainly monophonic, but with "hints" of stereo. You might concludes that this is "poor stereo", but it isn't.

In a case like this, the performers are all individually mic'd and the sound is fed into a PA mixer and amplified. For open air performances, typically the "sound man" will mix it to a monophonic output. All sounds are equally broadcast outward from the main speaker system. The reason for this is so that no matter where you are, as part of the audience, you will hear the whole group. So as a part of the audience, mostly everything sounded like it was coming from the middle -- no sign of the stereo.

There are subtle differences. The guitar and bass will have their own amps which are also fed into the PA, but will be fairly loud on their own. Similarly, the drums will be mic'd but since drums are really loud on their own, for a small performance like this, you will mainly hear the drums directly -- off-screen to the right. Likewise the singers and some of the instruments will be given a "fold back monitor" (a speaker aimed right at them) so that they can hear what they are doing.

So despite having a good stereo mic and recording system on the camcorder, the "accurate" sound is almost monophonic. That is actually "true to the performance", and the camcorder did a very good job, and yes, I am very happy with the result.

The other thing that you can notice is the lack of zoom-and-pan style. The camera has some movement due to it being essentially hand-held (actually on a monopod), but there is very little change in the view. It might as well have been on a tripod. That was deliberate, in order to avoid the sound panning around unnecessarily which would have detracted from the performance. This is a limitation of "single-system" recording. It affects your camera style.

"[3D] 20150725 Beachs Jazz Streetfest - SoulfulOfunk - Toronto HD"
Posted Aug 12, 2015
""

Most reactions

Back