Having issues removing a virus, suggestions?

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a virus on my computer that is disguising itself as an anti-virus software and the program they are trying to pass off is called "Vista Guardian". It's a virus that continues to pop up a window saying my computer is infected and that I need to purchase additional software to remove the virus. I've had something very similar to this before and was able to remove it successfully with Malwarebytes however I've done a few scans with this and Ad-Aware with no success. Any suggestions? Thanks.

System restore normally works if you haven't had it for too long. What web browser are you using?

Well go to the start bar
Open up your web browser
Then to google
search apple.com
open the first hit
add an imac to the shopping cart
go through check out
wait for package to arrive

Jk

but seriously

Well go to the start bar
Open up your web browser
Then to google
search apple.com
open the first hit
go through check out

Jk

but seriously

And then you have a computer that you paid too much for...? Cool story bro. Lets keep the discussion to actually figuring out what is wrong with their computer instead of recommending the more costly and less useful route.

Malawarebytes (which you have tried) and Microsoft Security Essentials are two great tools. AdAware and Spybot are too common these days.

Can you boot up in Safe Mode and try running Malaware and MS Essentials? Might have more luck finding something that way.

Is the virus linked to your web browser? Which are you using? Try using a different one. Firefox and Chrome are good options for IE

Well go to the start bar
Open up your web browser
Then to google
search apple.com
open the first hit
go through check out

Jk

but seriously

And then you have a computer that you paid too much for...? Cool story bro. Lets keep the discussion to actually figuring out what is wrong with their computer instead of recommending the more costly and less useful route.

I dont have any issues with the second part of the statement, but its the first part that had me giggling

Thanks for the responses.

To the smart ones I have a Macbook so thank you, the computer with the issue is my custom pc.

I only run Firefox, never Internet explorer so I'm surprised my Firefox didn't catch any sort of threat, I've only had issues with IE.

I updated Malwarebytes and did another quick scan and it found 4 threats so I deleted them and restarted the computer and so far everything is looking good! I'll see how it runs and keep everyone updated.

I dont have any issues with the second part of the statement, but its the first part that had me giggling

That's weird, because I just checked apple.com for the lowest priced iMac, and it's $400 more than a Dell with roughly the same specs.

To the smart ones I have a Macbook so thank you, the computer with the issue is my custom pc.

I only run Firefox, never Internet explorer so I'm surprised my Firefox didn't catch any sort of threat, I've only had issues with IE.

I updated Malwarebytes and did another quick scan and it found 4 threats so I deleted them and restarted the computer and so far everything is looking good! I'll see how it runs and keep everyone updated.

Good job dude. How old are you? Your site looks pretty legit and your avatar doesnt look like your older then 20. You have a flickr?

That's weird, because I just checked apple.com for the lowest priced iMac, and it's $400 more than a Dell with roughly the same specs.

I loled

Apple® - iMac® 3.06GHz with 21.5" Display
Model: MB950LL/A | SKU: 9611523

Customer Reviews: 4.8

Dell - Inspiron Desktop with Intel® Pentium® Processor
Model: I545-1125NBK | SKU: 9698836

Customer Reviews: 3.7

Sure, PC's are cheaper UP FRONT

Good job dude. How old are you? Your site looks pretty legit and your avatar doesnt look like your older then 20. You have a flickr?

I loled

Apple® - iMac® 3.06GHz with 21.5" Display
Model: MB950LL/A | SKU: 9611523

Customer Reviews: 4.8

Dell - Inspiron Desktop with Intel® Pentium® Processor
Model: I545-1125NBK | SKU: 9698836

Customer Reviews: 3.7

Sure, PC's are cheaper UP FRONT

Thanks for checkin out my site and yup I'm 20, good guess lol. I do have a flickr however ever since I got my website up and running I don't really use it much anymore but feel free to friend me: flickr.com/photos/seanlaraphotography

Looks like my PC is running fine now, no more popups or anything. Thanks for the help everyone!

Mac fanboys stfu. PC fanboys stfu. Macs will see viruses within the next several years... I assure you. The only reason PC is infected more often now is because you target a virus to what has the biggest possibility to spread. The a pc is only cheaper upfront is a stupid argument. PCs are cheaper and if someone knows how to maintain and upgrade their own gear than prices are so much cheaper than buying the newest mac each year. Macs have won the majority share in gaming because the color calibration is generally as near to perfect as we have been able to achieve. In the end all you fanboy ****s are still just hiding behind plastice glass and metal arguing a pointless argument. Chicken or the egg? Who ****ing cares? They both taste good.

Malawarebytes (which you have tried) and Microsoft Security Essentials are two great tools. AdAware and Spybot are too common these days.

Can you boot up in Safe Mode and try running Malaware and MS Essentials? Might have more luck finding something that way.

Is the virus linked to your web browser? Which are you using? Try using a different one. Firefox and Chrome are good options for IE

QFTMFT

Seriously, do everything in safe mode. I've had malware that wouldn't allow me to open anything unless I opened it as I shut the malware down with task manager. Malwarebytes is a great tool, even better in safe mode.

Also, as put more delicately earlier....
media_httpcadcomiccomcomics20060513jpg_hnirtijmuccvHas.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

The a pc is only cheaper upfront is a stupid argument. PCs are cheaper and if someone knows how to maintain and upgrade their own gear than prices are so much cheaper...

Desktop - I've owned a top Alienware ALX that cost almost 4 grand (I used to videograph weddings so it was well justified). I then built a computer with the same specs for 1800 and returned the thing. Building custom towers ever since.

Mobile - Aluminum MacBook 13" - Apple builds a solid laptop. I have a triple boot of Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X 10.6 and it runs great no matter the Operating System, the build quality of the hardware package itself is better than Dell/Sony/HP-Compaq/and some others. Toshiba also builds a solid product.

I tire of hearing people talk about how flawless Mac OS is. Windows has to develop a product that runs with thousand of components and is expected to do so flawlessly. Mac controls everything placed in their computers from design to production; with that level of vertical control of course the OS will work better with the components and less problems will result. Windows has to account and in many way foresee hardware component that are often very cheaply made, reverse engineered, knock-offs of real hardware manufacturers.

The reasons people like macs and will pay more is that the producers of the operating system customizes the hardware and they work hand in hand. If you have any idea what you're doing both operating systems are equal, and Ubuntu easily outperforms both.

Malwarebytes or Superantispyware...if you cant run those in regular mode i would try safe mode...if that doesnt work i usually use this as a last resort because it is a very powerful virus removal tool and i have had it crash peoples pcs so if your running xp i would try ComboFix.

I hate mac vs pc crap. But I want to jump in on something here. One of the main reasons Macs don't get infect by virurses (almost never) isnt so much that more are written for Pc's. While there are more written for Pc's, it has more to do with security practices.

In order to harm a file that has to do with the system, you need to put in an administrative password. Plain and simple. Since Windows started having those pop ups that say "do you want to allow, blah blah blah", people were given a bit of a false security. That function is easily bypassed.

If you own a Windows box, the best thing to do is to set up everything the way you like it and then setup another user with limited permissions. It may be a bit of a pain in the butt, but it will save you tons of headaches later on. And when you want to install screen savers or games, or anything else for that matter, run a scan on it first, it doesn't hurt to do a search on the program to see if anyone ever reported a virus, malware or spyware attached with it.

I just thought I would put that put there for everyone. And before anyone tries to flame me about any part of this post, I use both Mac and Pc and have for 20+ years. I love them both for various reasons.And while Mac's are typically much more safer, Pc's can be just as safe if proper preperation and care is taken. People tend to like the they equipment they have whether it's a Computer or a camera and will defend them to the end. Butting heads about which is better is a losing battle that shouldn't be fought.

BTW, glad your computer is working better....
And if your are now virus/malware/spyware free, it would be a good idea to purge the system restore, then create and new restore point. If any were created while you have that bug it will still be dormant on the system in sys. restore. Purging it and creating a new one can prevent you or someone else from selecting a restore point that was infected.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back