Having trouble syncing SB800 as slave

and on the 1 sec thing it should be on rear sync, then maybe the pre-flash will set it off before the shutter is shut.

or maybe nikons speedlights just can't sync at full output like that

:(

My SB800 still syncs when the camera flash is set to TTL, but maybe if the flash fires too early it is reacting to the TTL pre-flash.

Try this, turn all flashes to manual and to fire at a certain power, no Automatic no TTL no nothing and see if it syncs up properly then.

The easiest way to see if the flash is actually firing while the shutter is open is to take a picture of it :) so try that to rule out any metering issues.

My SB800 still syncs when the camera flash is set to TTL, but maybe if the flash fires too early it is reacting to the TTL pre-flash.

Try this, turn all flashes to manual and to fire at a certain power, no Automatic no TTL no nothing and see if it syncs up properly then.

The easiest way to see if the flash is actually firing while the shutter is open is to take a picture of it :) so try that to rule out any metering issues.

That was it. I had been using TTL on my Canon and didn't even think about the preflash. That explains why it was working at 1/2 power b/c even if the Nikon was going off twice, it was able to recycle fast enough to fire again during the time the shutter was open.

I just did a few test shots with both strobes on manual and everything worked. :)

Thanks everyone!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back