Having trouble with focus at night.

Rob_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently started to get more in to photography at night, I took this picture last night: imgur: the simple image sharer and I use the Canon EOS T3, and the LCD does not show problems too well. On the LCD this image looked amazing, I get home only to be disappointed. I used a Canon 50mm 1.8 to take this. The settings were ISO 800, 1.8 AP, and roughly 6-7s on exposure. I've been having increasing difficulty at night gaining the right focus to get this whole image in focus. Any pointers?

Use a smaller aperture. There's no reason to shoot it at f/1.8 if you're on a tripod. I'd shoot at f/4 at a minimum... I'd be happy at f/8 though.

I agree. There is no reason to shoot at F1.8 in that situation...unless you really wanted a shallow DOF, and I don't see why you would for this type of shot.

Most lenses are not at their best, when at the maximum aperture. This lens is particularity known for being soft at it's maximum.

Since you're on a tripod (thus shutter speed shouldn't be an issue) just use a smaller aperture, in the F4 to F8 range.

As for focusing, use a flashlight or something to put some light on the spot you want to focus on.

Were you trying to focus on the stars, or the fence?

Rob, the guys are right, for a shot like that you do not need the lens wide open
BUT, your point of focus should be sharp no matter what aperture you are on...

I do a lot of fine art night shots and I always
FOCUS MANUAL
USE LIVE VIEW for focusing (if your camera has it)
SPOT LIGHT/FLASH LIGHT the point of focus if you can (if not the stars)

Once recently the newest DSLR's have started to show better focusing ability in very low light settings. You camera should not be able to focus in low light at all, the only way is manual focus.

For this kind of shot you definitely need to be over f/5.6 and with a tripod. 100 ISO as well.

Another pointer is manual focus with the aid of a flashlight, then lock the focus point down
bigthumb.gif

Another pointer is manual focus with the aid of a flashlight, then lock the focus point down
bigthumb.gif

Yeah, I was using that method, I'd have my friend go out with a flash light about 10-15ft and then I'd focus on her. I was thinking it would be far enough back to get the whole image (I was wrong) I think I'll go back this weekend and give some of these tips a shot.

bigthumb.gif

Yeah, I was using that method, I'd have my friend go out with a flash light about 10-15ft and then I'd focus on her. I was thinking it would be far enough back to get the whole image (I was wrong) I think I'll go back this weekend and give some of these tips a shot.
Did you want the fence and stars to both be in focus?

If so, Google 'hyperfocal distance'. Stopping down will help a lot.

bigthumb.gif

Did you want the fence and stars to both be in focus?

If so, Google 'hyperfocal distance'. Stopping down will help a lot.

Yeah, I was going for the entire image to be in focus

If you want everything to be in focus, you definitely need to do a little reading about hyperfocal distance.

Using those methods, getting everything from, say, 5 feet to infinity shouldn't be too hard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back