Having trouble with sharpness. C&C help?

GTHill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one shot out of many today. I have a lot to learn (as you can tell) but I'm very frustrated with the lack of sharpness. The colors are weak and it just lacks sharpness. I have decent photo equipment so I can't blame it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

GT

pic10.jpg

Well it's impossible to tell with an image that's been resized to 600 pixels tall.

Shooting at faster shutter speeds at your lens' optimal aperture is always the ideal situation.

I managed to get it a bit sharper, even with a small image.
Not sure what you are using for PP, but Post Process is the Digital Version of the dark room. With a bit of practice you can pull more detail out.

10904-pic10copy.jpg

Thank you for the replies and the edit. This photo was shot at 1/500th with an Fstop of 4.5. Any more clues as to why it looks washed out? Overexposed?

Thanks!

GT

Thank you for the replies and the edit. This photo was shot at 1/500th with an Fstop of 4.5. Any more clues as to why it looks washed out? Overexposed?

Thanks!

GT

It does not look overexposed to me at all.

Maybe you just used the wrong film? ..... just kidding ;) .. but then, not.

Some lenses just have better contrast, resulting also in more saturated colours in a way.

And then there is the process in which the sensor data is translated into an image, there are different recipes for this translation which give more or less contrast, saturation, sharpness and overall different characteristics. If you shoot RAW, you will most likely actively chose / tune that recipe during RAW->JPG conversion. If you let the camera produce a JPG directly, you might be able to set the recipe in camera (sometimes called picture style or whatever, depends on the brand of the cam). Or you can do some postprocessing to push contrast, vividness, sharpness the way you want it.

Focus is something I am working on as well. You will get better with lots of practice. Are you choosing your own focal points and then aiming at the eyes. This is what works for me and like I said lots of practice. In this one it looks like the focus fell on the pumpkin.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back