Hawk identification please.

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone help me identify this hawk? I tried figuring out but I just can't. Someone thinks it's a harrier, but it doesn't seem to match. All about birds says a harrier is grey on top, this one was definitely dark brown. Thank you.
25056724729_5a539ccbe4_z.jpg
By the way, these were taken on my quest for the Snowy Owls. That of course I didn't find. I did however figure out that I really want this lens.
DSC_2041.jpg
DSC_2042.jpg
DSC_2058.jpg
DSC_2071.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me for Marsh Harrier. Remember the females are Brown.

Let's start by telling us where this was taken. What State ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good to me for Marsh Harrier. Remember the females are Brown.

Marsh Harrier is only found on the other side of the world. I believe since she mentioned Snowy Owls she is somewhere in North America.

Look at your field guide for Rough-Legged Hawk

Marsh Hawk/Northern Harrier but yes Rough-legged.

Beautiful pattern on the back of this bird! You don't see the full back of them in flight very often, everyone wants a pic of the face/beak/eyes.

Thanks everyone! Sorry, should have mentioned I'm in Ontario. Just looked at pictures of a rough legged hawk and that would be it. They were significantly larger than any hawks I'd seen before.

Beautiful pattern on the back of this bird! You don't see the full back of them in flight very often, everyone wants a pic of the face/beak/eyes.

There were several of them around. I was just trying to test out the nikon lens and knew I didn't have the reach to get perfect shots but I have to say I was pretty darn happy to get these. I've never been able to get shots like these with my other lens so although they are heavy crops and not completely sharp, I'm happy. Especially the back shots.

Look at your field guide for Rough-Legged Hawk

Thank you VERY much. I don't know why that bird didn't come up in my search. Because when I read the description and see the pictures it matches. I really have to work on this bird identifying. I appreciate everyone helping me out.

What lens were you using?

What lens were you using?

I rented the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 G AF-S IF ED VR II for a week. Put it on my D7100. I intended to go photograph owls, there were several on a nearby island that have been there for awhile. My son is also home from Calgary for a week and I wanted to take him to a wooded area and get some pictures.

Unfortunately, did not find a single owl and right now we are in the middle of an incoming ice storm with massive winds and extreme cold. :( But I love the lens and I think for what I do, it's a good fit for me and has gone on my list of "next lens to get". I get more reach with my Tamron but it's not a fast lens. These pictures are very heavy crops but my god that lens is fast.

Most reactions

Back