What's new

HDR Architecture

Xpirex

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 10, 2011
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Location
UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1197447868_TZxxY-XL-4.jpg


Full Photoset here:

HDR Architecture - Chris Montgomery Photography
 
Hey! That's Dresden! Great place for pictures... Nice photo by the way... Don't know much about HDR, but it seems overcooked or 'funny'... I don't know how to call it, but it doesn't like real.


Regards,
LizardKing
 
There are more if you click then link below the photo.. :)

Regarding what is real and not real. The entire process of photography itself is completely unreal and utterly unnatural. Personally I don't even see myself as a photographer at all but as an artist that just happens to be using a camera. Which means I feel quite free
to do anything I like with with what I shoot and manipulate it to death if need be. Reality or naturalness is not necessarily on my agenda at all. Far too limiting. :)

This guy Stuart Moore puts it nicely in his blog:
[h=1]Natural Photography[/h] 26 June 2011


Every now and then, I come across someone complaining about the photoshopping of images in the media, particularly magazines, and this is often linked to a demand for natural photography. I am no great fan myself of the plastic look, or bad photo retouching generally (which I am guilty of myself).

It is the concept of natural photography though that I find debate worthy. To me, there is nothing natural about photography (not even camera obscura) given, at the very least, a switch from the 3d realm to a flat plane. (Roll on 3d cameras, eh!)

The decisions photographers make with regard to the lens used (compression effects, bokeh), aperture setting, focus, dynamic range as well as the particular light (natural or otherwise, in shade, golder hours, reflected, etc) are all artistic (intentional or not) decisions that impact the final image before any additional processing is done. Even the clothes worn, the way they are worn, the colours in them, have an impact on the perception of the brain – small changes in the composition can significant impact the perception of colour.

Many will argue that the evil is in the digital realm, not recognising that many of our most respected analogue photographers spent many many hours in the darkroom making often very major adjustments before releasing their work for others to see. Of course, if that is seen as wrong in the first place, rather than as a right of artistic expression, then it does not serve as an argument in support of digital manipulation, but it does challenge the view that this is new.

I note many photography clubs have strong restrictions on how much images can be altered: colour balance, lens correction, some noise reduction are typical limits for the more stringent.

I do understand that some people want relatively simple images that have not been manipulated heavily. Some people prefer little or no make-up. Some people prefer to use only natural light sources. Fine. We have room for all here. I just wish the idea of a “natural photograph” would go away.
 
There is a whole HDR forum which is better suited for this than just architecture. Its hard to look at a photograph from an artists point of view. It seems to be a good excuse for producing a poor image and blaming it on artistic talent. All your images have one thing in common to me, too much noise, perspective doesnt work, and the colors are too unnatural. I find it amusing you have your watermark plastered right across each image so large and obtrusive to the viewer, as if anyone would steal your images for any reason. I dont know how many bracketed shots you used to achieve all these images, but if you learn to do HDR processing properly Im sure you would have some nice looking shots that you would really be proud of. You certainly had some nice subjects to point your camera at.
 
Ah, the purists on their soap boxes strike again. :)

First of all let my apologise for pissing you both off by making you suffer such hideous and ugly images. Now that's put of the way I take my apology back.They are just single shots and not bracketed at all.
I did not even know what bracketing was when I took them. They are in fact holiday snaps. I have been dabbling with photography for just over a year and a half and also the first time that I even attempted
anything to do with HDR.

Thank goodness I am not too thin skinned or people like you would cause anyone to just quit and go hang themselves. Meanwhile I thank you for your harsh crircisms an unpleasantness,
Have a lovely day now :)
 
@ Bynx:

I just took a moment to go through some of your photos that you have posted, perhaps you should consider quitting too eh? :lmao:
 
Well if you know they arent HDR then why call them that? My comments are towards your 'HDR' images. It seems its gotten to the point that anything coming out of the camera now is being called HDR. As you say, they are snapshots which is a more honest approach. And certainly not art. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess everyone who picks up a camera and takes a snapshot is an artist. As for my stuff, I dont call myself an artist. And my ego doesnt allow me to post my name all over it. I post it, take it for what you want.
 
Yes they are much better. For the most part noise free with better processing. I like the abstract use of the lines in the buildings. Personally, I wouldnt hang one but Im sure they would look great in an office board room etc.
 
I see that your standards are very high Mr Bynx, I will strive to do better. :) They too are my first attempts at architecture with a pretty cheap camera but they too have sold. Thank you for your honest feedback.
 
I'm really quite shocked. For single shots, their quality is not bad. I like the one you posted here, but I don't really like others because of their colors, halos and noise. One advice I have for you, even though I'm not an expert, try not to use create single-shot HDR if the picture has clipped highlights or clipped shadows.
 
I see that your standards are very high Mr Bynx, I will strive to do better. :) They too are my first attempts at architecture with a pretty cheap camera but they too have sold. Thank you for your honest feedback.

I don't think his standards are that high, he's just trying to get you to raise your standards. Which will, in turn, raise your own quality of work. :thumbup:
 
Take part in the HDR shootouts, they are a nice processing learning experience. At least I think so :)
 
Ah, the purists on their soap boxes strike again. :)

First of all let my apologise for pissing you both off by making you suffer such hideous and ugly images. Now that's put of the way I take my apology back.They are just single shots and not bracketed at all.
I did not even know what bracketing was when I took them. They are in fact holiday snaps. I have been dabbling with photography for just over a year and a half and also the first time that I even attempted
anything to do with HDR.

Thank goodness I am not too thin skinned or people like you would cause anyone to just quit and go hang themselves. Meanwhile I thank you for your harsh crircisms an unpleasantness,
Have a lovely day now :)

This doesn't really apply to your photo as it is a single shot tonemapped image, but heres what I think on the subject.
Learn the "rules" before we break them! Art may be very subjective but when processing a bracketed series of images(HDR) one should first understand how to tonemap to create a very realistic non-surreal image first. Once one understands how to do this they can now tweak the exposure to their own tastes. I believe this will create a exposure with much more impact.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom