HDR Bracket (3 raw photos attached)

One thing I noticed in this picture is that the textures in the old ruin and the textures in the background, are "too alike". Of course, this is personal opinion. The only things that really stand out here are the tree and the sky, the rest is much the same. This is really emphasized by the ruin not going above the horizon, which is due to the OPs perspective and the topography. Just my own observations and opinions.

Beautiful landscape, though imo, the capture probably could have been better.

Agreed, it was very difficult to get the stonework to stand apart from the background because the textures/colors ran together.

Composition is OK, but could be improved.

Absolutely phenomenal! Great editing skills guys. Looks good. I agree with the comment about the target (ruins style rock house) and background looking very similar. Like camouflage.

I always assume I needed to take multiple shots in order to obtain a great image. Apparently that's not the case as you all have made some great edits. Looks good.

Clouds in all look smooth and the "pop" is obtained. Photomatix gives odd cloud ghosting at times. I feel I need to expand my abilities after seeing such great work here.

Thank you again!

gunnyz39,
Was this taken in Tucon Az?
Henry

kinghen said:
gunnyz39,
Was this taken in Tucon Az?
Henry

It's actually in the foothills of Albuquerque, NM. Since I have been photographing targets etc as a hobby and reading/learning things here on the forum I found this state has some great sunset and sunrises I have ever seen. The "golden hour" often times last for 2+ hours of fantastic views. At times the Sandia Mountains turn pink and purple. Looks gorgeous.

Here's my HDR edit.
6907962077_008a2c30a2_z.jpg

Honestly the scene is very flat in all edits. It's more the original photo and less the fault of the editing.

Also, one RAW file here had sufficient dynamic range to capture the full scene.

Some of these edits have some cloud ghosting as a bi-product of photomatix. I used it, I de-ghosted (because I always de-ghost foliage/clouds) but probably a similar result could be extracted from one of the raw files, as Compaq has demonstrated.

I do like the shot, but you are right - it is kind of flat. I'm only commenting on this because I run into this issue frequently with my own photos. It's a nice composition, but the foreground and background don't really stand out from one another. What, in your opinion, is the problem, and how could it have been done differently?

Ansel Adams discovered that you have to get up off the ground. Most of his shots were taken from the roof of his car. The angle helps to separate the foreground from the background.

Whoa. Someone mark today on a calendar.

The problem is, You didn't need HDR to capture that scene, The dynamic range /contrast ratio of the combined 32 bit file is only 149:1 You could have got that in a single exposure. Nice scene though

Hey, I'm very curious how you got this number and what scale you're comparing it to? I didn't know there was a subjective way to analyze something like this, and I'm very interested to know more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back