HDR bridge/falls - cc please

doziergraphic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Long exposure HDR attempt on a really windy day.

parkeco.jpg

I love the silky water effect. ND grad filter?

I used an ND 8 circular. Not a graduated.

f/22, iso 100, four exposures ranging from 5 sec down to .6 sec

flat, but it was a gray day. I'll be going back to this one. This was a few weeks ago, well before the flooding that has hit west-central Indiana the past two weeks. Level is currently a few feet higher - getting back in next couple days.

The dull sky ruins an otherwise excellent shot. Could you try adding some HDR-induced drama to the clouds?

Certainly doesn't look like an HDR so that's a good start. You could draw some detail out on the underside of the bridge, I do like the silky water effect with the long SS though.
Definitely worth another go when the light is better, dawn or dusk would be the best time IMO.

Great shot, would be much better if the sky had more color though. Just my 2 cents.

thanks all. I thought the HDR would bring more out in the sky, but it didn't. The 'silky water look' was a result of HDR, as i couldn't get that look from any of the individual shots. And it was so windy that enlargement will show the building is a bit fuzzy as a result of the shots not all being completely stable.

@12 - the area is Parke County, IN just south of Rockville. The town is called Bridgeton. A big 'covered bridge' area.

This was truly one of those rare instances when you pull up and see the spot for the first time your heart skips a quick beat as you realize the photo possibilities, not just at that time, but for future visits as well!

I do like how you construct the whole picture. But the grey sky really couldn't give you a good shot.

I say shoot it at dawn with you nd; at least you'll get back to ~f/13 for the same sort of effect with the water - would make for a much sharper shot. Lens don't far too well up in that range and I don't see an 18-250 doing better lol.

I say shoot it at dawn with you nd; at least you'll get back to ~f/13 for the same sort of effect with the water - would make for a much sharper shot. Lens don't far too well up in that range and I don't see an 18-250 doing better lol.

correct. I need to find the 'sweet' spot. And I don't think it's at f/22. Was going for dof and as much exposure time as possible. I'll be there for better light.

Great water, i love how you can see some of the rocks. Also nice job, I didnt see haloing so good HDR. If you want your building sharper you can always just mask that in using photoshop.

First off let me say the HDR work if very good. The composition is also strong with the lines leading right to the red building in the middle of the image. With the white sky the image really stops right there and because of the sky I think that's just fine. Nice image!

This is a really wonderful shot. I liked the following things about it

* The angle of shooting
* The slow shutter
* The gloom in the air
* Sometimes sky is blank or have only scanty clouds and here what is there is the best; the lower half is very busy and so upper part must have an element of relaxation to balance.
What else? :thumbsup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back