HDR DSLR cameras

Cornbread, I wasn't aware that cameras came with an in camera HDR option. My understanding is that most DSLRs and some P&S come with what is know as Automatic Exposure Bracketing or AEB - some may refer to this as an HDR option, but, personally, I think this can be a bit misleading. This option allows you to take a series of exposures at, for example - regular exposure, +2 and -2 ev, or regular exposure +1 and -1 ev, or some combination. A lot of DSLRs allow you to only take three bracketed exposures at a time ( as noted previously), while some of the higher end cameras will give you 5 or 7 and I think there may be one or two that will give you up to 9 bracketed exposures. These are the images that are then fed into HDR software such as Photomatix or HDR Efex Pro to name a couple. CS5 can also do HDR processing as well. Programs like Lightroom, Photoshop CSn (n is currently 5), Aperture and maybe others have interfaces or plugins that allow you to pass programs from e.g., Lightroom to the HDR software programs and the have the HDR program return the finalized image to Lightroom, etc. for further processing if desired.

I hope this helps you understand the technical mechanics of how HDR is done in cameras that have an AEB capability. Having said that, there is nothing to stop you from doing the whole process manually by figuring out the bracketed exposures you need to cover the dynamic range of your potential HDR image. HTH

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I think for example the Nikon D90 comes with in camera HDR: its called multiple exposures. You chose i.e. 3 exposures, put your camera on a tripod, shoot 3 of them and they get blended into one image in-camera.
Obviously you can use for a lot of other purposes, don't shoot all 3 images in a burst and walk around in your picture and you've got a triple shot of yourself :)

The iPhone 4 has built in HDR... doesnt make it a good camera.

and a camera having built in HDR doesn't make it a bad camera either.
I have the A500 and its a great camera,I don't use the HDR option much as I don't really like that type of photo whichever way its done be it in camera or in Photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back