HDR from single raw

Not too shabby. What program did you use for that? I was trying some HDR composites with photomatix and also in CS3, but it didn't seem to come out right. Maybe I can try with 1 raw file instead...

Not too shabby. What program did you use for that? I was trying some HDR composites with photomatix and also in CS3, but it didn't seem to come out right. Maybe I can try with 1 raw file instead...

These were both photomatix.

Hate to burst your bubble but this is not HDR. It's simple tone-mapping.

Be testy if you like, but don't go around contributing to the misinformation mess on the web by incorrectly describing your techniques.

Yeah Max is right, technically you should call this "tonemapping".

Doesn't mean you can't achieve the same effect of an HDR though. Of course you can't bring back blown highlights or anything, that's why this shouldn't be called an HDR.

I stand corrected. I'm sorry I offended you by calling it HDR, when it should actually be called tone mapping.

Better tell these people as well.

http://flickr.com/groups/raw2hdr/

You didn't offend me. People like that Flickr group offend me...who don't even understand what exactly it is that they're doing yet go around posting tutorials and pretending to speak with authority.

You didn't offend me. People like that Flickr group offend me...who don't even understand what exactly it is that they're doing yet go around posting tutorials and pretending to speak with authority.

Either way I didn't mean to come off like an ass. I didn't know I wasn't using the correct nomenclature. Next time I do something similar I'll say HDR effect achieved through tone mapping.

Then everybody will be happy.

Despite what Max says, there is nothing to stop a single exposure, whether digital or chemical, from being an HDR image if the entire brightness range of the scene is within the native dynamic range of the sensitive medium. That is, in many ways, preferable to multi-exposure HDR.

Best,
Helen

Wow! I thought you guys would get it right away. The bottom one is the true HDR. The top was made from one raw.

Most reactions

Back