HDR manual blending with layer masks - First attempt

theraven

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There has been much discussion about HDR lately and the use of multiple exposures and keeping it realistic. So here is my first attempt, 3 exposures, +/-2 then layer masks to keep the parts I wanted.

Thoughts and crit? Please click the image to view on a black background!

St James Church, Longton by Raven Photography by Jenna Goodwin, on Flickr

Pretty nice job. Almost realistic. But there is a bit of halos around the buildings. And it's all leaning to the left. Nice job for a first try.

Not bad at all on the technical side. It's not a very good picture, though ;) The bushes in the foreground are just visual chaos that add nothing that I can see.

As you can see by the shot though, any other composition would have covered the church or the lampost?

I agree with all, not a bad job!

I would have gone vertical ;) you are right, this is your best angle to fit the church in but the right side adds nothing and draws the eye. A more vertical comp gets rid of most of it and tightens up the shot nicely IMHO.

I agree with all of the composition comments give. I just realized that thi swas posted in the General Gallery section. My ealier critique assuming that the OP wanted critque on the processing only, based on the Title.
I do have one question, however, for the OP. How do you get haloing from layer masking? Looks more like Photomatix or HDR Pro.

Nice work. I enjoyed your Flickr. But too many to look through. I suggest you make a portfolio of your best work.

Nope, not Photomatix, layer masking. It;s not a proper halo, it's basically where I've changed the sky colour then painted the church through and caught the sky underneath. Basically like a child going out of the lines when colouring. Rookie mistake!

I will try cropping it vertical thank youi!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back