HDR Portraiture

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How is this done properly? I know you cannot take three pictures and have the person stand completely still. Not possible with out a little ghosting. If that is how it is done, please tell me how.
I was thinking-
-one under exposed picture, no subject.
-correctly exposed picture with subject.
-overexposed picture, no subject.

Take the portrait in RAW preferably. And copy it 3-(Instert however many exposures you want) times. Then edit each raw file and make the exposure for each a different settings. Start at underexposed and work your way to overexposed. Then use Photoshop or what have you and merge all of the edited RAW files to HDR.

Take the portrait in RAW preferably. And copy it 3-(Instert however many exposures you want) times. Then edit each raw file and make the exposure for each a different settings. Start at underexposed and work your way to overexposed. Then use Photoshop or what have you and merge all of the edited RAW files to HDR.

This won't be a HDR tho. However you can achive a tone mapped look with this technique.

If you want true HDR, you can try and bracket 3 exposures before the subject moves, or even if there is slight movememnt, programmes like Photomatix can remove some ghosting.
TBH tho, 3 bracketed exposures wouldn't look much different to a tone mapped RAW because of the subject matter.

Yes it will work as HDR I've done it with one RAW many times. That is misinformation that HDR HAS to be 3 separate shots look at my old post I've done it!

467cbc0d.jpg

it can be done with 1 raw,

Doing it with one image is not true High Dynamic Range imaging as you are not increasing the range of the original image, that would be faux HDR. If you know how to use your PP software correctly you can achieve the same look without breaking the single image down into 3.
My question is why do you feel it is necessary.

Yes it will work as HDR I've done it with one RAW many times. That is misinformation that HDR HAS to be 3 separate shots look at my old post I've done it!

No it is not misinformation, it is 100% correct. *sigh*

How is this done properly? I know you cannot take three pictures and have the person stand completely still. Not possible with out a little ghosting. If that is how it is done, please tell me how.
I was thinking-
-one under exposed picture, no subject.
-correctly exposed picture with subject.
-overexposed picture, no subject.
How do you plan to control skin tones?

This won't be a HDR tho. However you can achive a tone mapped look with this technique.

If you want true HDR, you can try and bracket 3 exposures before the subject moves, or even if there is slight movememnt, programmes like Photomatix can remove some ghosting.
TBH tho, 3 bracketed exposures wouldn't look much different to a tone mapped RAW because of the subject matter.

Lol i apologize. Thats how i thought you did it.

Some HDR composition can utilize 2 images. Most that I am aware of work more efficiently with 3 or more images. 1 image is tonemapping.

The new NIK program that will be available in October has an interesting feature. I was at a 2 hour class yesterday where they presented the software capabilities.

For images with moving items, such as water, cars, people, the software will determine which of the images sent to the HDR engine has the best exposure for the moving item and use that for the HDR composite. They showed us one instance with people, cars, and water. I was impressed. If you get an opportunity to see one of the presentations, and are interested in HDR, you may like this new program.

Some HDR composition can utilize 2 images. Most that I am aware of work more efficiently with 3 or more images. 1 image is tonemapping.

The new NIK program that will be available in October has an interesting feature. I was at a 2 hour class yesterday where they presented the software capabilities.

For images with moving items, such as water, cars, people, the software will determine which of the images sent to the HDR engine has the best exposure for the moving item and use that for the HDR composite. They showed us one instance with people, cars, and water. I was impressed. If you get an opportunity to see one of the presentations, and are interested in HDR, you may like this new program.

What exactly is it called?

1.-2 f stops
2.0 f stops
3.+2 f stops

amirite guise?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back