HDR Tips & Tricks?

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HDR seems pretty popular right now and I have been intrigued enough to try it myself. I really like some of the results that I've gotten, but wonder if I could get more out of them. I have been doing them w/ 3 exposures (-2, 0, +2) and wonder if I would gain anything by doing 5 or more? At some point I know it's the law of diminishing returns. I am thus far unable to get those cartoon like effects, and I don't want it to look completely unrealistic either but just wonder how it's done.

I've been using PS CS2 w/ the HDR feature then doing some adjustments. I also downloaded the trial of Photomatix and like the look of it as well. So, any tips and tricks others can share? I was trying these w/ the k10d. Here's my first one as part of a time lapse project I am doing for the company I work for as my real job.

augustconstruction2.jpg

Here's a good tutorial on making HDR images using both CS2 and Photomatix. It also has a tips section that will answer your questions concerning the number of exposures to use.

HDR How To

I tried Photomatix for a while, and didn't like a lot of the results I wanted on the tone mapped image.

Take a look at Dynamic Photo HDR.

http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

I like the alignment tools, really important for handheld shots. There is a really neat "pinning" concept that allows you to adjust various regions of the picture, and then pin each in place. The software then interpolates (warps?) in between the pinned point.

There are also some neat graphical techniques used to alter the blend among the various pictures, to deviate from the default conditions. In other words, there is a lot of user flexibility with the tool, although the default work well and are easy to use.

I really like the results better than Photomatix, and I like the tools that the software gives you better too. BTW, it's less expensive too. The documentation could be better, and their marketing is certainly not up to that of others.

There is a free trial version that prevents storing of the HDR file, but otherwise works well.

How would I do this with photoshop elements 4.0? Is it the same way or different?

As far as I know, Elements does not have an HDR capability. You can use Elements before or after running the image through the HDR software to do whatever editing you'd like though. The software takes in 2 or more jpegs, and puts out an HDR format image and tone mapped jpegs of different sorts, made with different settings.

Here is an image before using Dynamic Photo HDR, normal exposure

[FONT=&quot]http://tinyurl.com/2u7vrd

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I took the normal photos using a +- 2 stop automatic bracket, handheld. Combining these 3 photos with the software gave the following:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://tinyurl.com/2jvpbm

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hope the photos come through. This is the first time I've tried to post photos to this forum, so please excuse if there is a problem. Note the additional detail in the sun drenched highlights on the high on the bard as well as in the shadows, the grass and mid-ground. I really like what this can do.

Enjoy...

[/FONT]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back