HDR

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I am just now starting to use HDR photography to help improve my pictures. Really I didn't understand how much effect this has even on normal photography. I am just looking for any type of feed back you have on the pictures. This isn't supposed to be a amazing shot, it was simply the first thing I thought to take a picture of that didnt require walking upstairs.

Here is what I got from a single shot. Not too bad except the table is way blown out.
nonhdrcans.jpg

Here is the HDR version of this picture
MTdewcansweb.jpg

Truthfully, I like the cans in the 1st picture more(less reflection) but the table in the HDR looks better.

Truthfully, I like the cans in the 1st picture more(less reflection) but the table in the HDR looks better.

could you elaborate a little more on that? From what I can see the reflections are the same in both pictures. There arent any parts in the second shot that arent in the first one as far as i can tell.

Thanks for the input.

PS I grew up in howard county. Which part do you live in? I used to live in ellicott city.

It's obviously not the best subject matter to shoot for hdr (or anything for that matter) but you already know that. You obviously pulled off the hdr look and you got to experiment.. I like the look of the cans that are out of focus, but the ones that are in focus seem a little "odd."

What program did you use for these hdr's?

It's obviously not the best subject matter to shoot for hdr (or anything for that matter) but you already know that. You obviously pulled off the hdr look and you got to experiment.. I like the look of the cans that are out of focus, but the ones that are in focus seem a little "odd."

What program did you use for these hdr's?

I used FDRTools for these. very simple to use and popphoto.com has a how to with using this program to remove ghosts when combining frames that have a moving person in one. The creator offers a 50% discount to any student with the submission of a scanned copy of a student ID, so for 27 dollars I couldnt pass on it.

http://www.fdrtools.com/front_e.php

Thanks for the response. I am still learning to use the program so that may account for the Odd looks. I dont mean to be a bother, but could you further explain what you mean by odd? I think the only reason they look a little off is that there is so much detail in them. Everything seems to show up in the picture.

Sorry...it doesn't work for me.

I'm no HDR pro, but I do use and like HDR. The thing with HDR, is that not all images require the use of it. In this case, you have introduced some excessive noise. Also, it looks flat and dirty.

Because you didn't have a true high dynamic range to begin with, the program tried to compensate and created contrast banding on the table that isn't very appealing. It's possible to create a unique look with one photo, but you will never get a true HDR.

This shot would have been much more successful using proper, diffused lighting. That would have saved the blown table, and opened up any shadows between the cans. If nothing else, try this shot again. Same lighting, but with a minimum of three shots. I think you'll be much happier with the outcome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back