HDR?

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.

Basically...a single photo is limited to a range of tones. If you expose for shadow detail, your bright parts may be blown out. If you expose for highlight detail, your shadow areas will be lost. HDR is the result of combining (or selective editing) shots in order to keep detail in both the highlights and shadows.

2 part (HDR) Question.. Can you change your format to a RAW file for HDR? AND Can you take 3 or more pics using a RAW format? Does that make sense?

2 part (HDR) Question.. Can you change your format to a RAW file for HDR?
The file type that you shoot in, does't matter...just as long as you vary the exposure.

AND Can you take 3 or more pics using a RAW format
You can take as many as you want...but you will probably have to convert the RAW files before using CS2 to make an HDR image.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking...but you can take one RAW file and make an HDR image out if it. Convert the RAW file with the exposure slider adjusted for the highlights...save as. Then convert it again but with attention to the shadow detail. Do this a with a few different exposure levels and then combine all the resulting images with the HDR function.

Mike
Not sure I agree that you can make an HDR from one image. You can extend the dynamic range of that one image but they never really look particularly good. HDR is a result of 3 or more images (doesn't need to be RAW) taken at different exposures. The exposures should generally only be differing shutter speeds to keep the depth of field and ISO constant.

Regards
Jim

thats what Im doing wrong... I convert the image (all 3) into HDR then I play with the contrast/ detail.. I should do this with each image? Then HDR it.. Then play with it as a whole. OK>. sweet... I'm going to do that now then post the picture.

thats what Im doing wrong... I convert the image (all 3) into HDR then I play with the contrast/ detail.. I should do this with each image? Then HDR it.. Then play with it as a whole. OK>. sweet... I'm going to do that now then post the picture.

you want to keep as many constants as possible for the shot. If you shoot 3 raw files, convert them to tiff and load them into the HDR program (or CS2 if thats what you use). Adjust the parameters for your tone mapping as needed, and then you modify the output file for fine tuning.

When I do HDR shots, I don't do any adjusting until the shots are merged into a single HDR image. Then I do my adjusting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back