HDTV slide show: need tips on setting up an art exhibit in my living room

Wilynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My goal is to run a pseudo art show in my living room whenever the mood strikes me. For instance, for those times when I want to kick back and look at hundreds of famous or not so famous paintings or sculpture. Or for when I entertain people.

I want to run a slide show of paintings and sculptures, not pictures or images people take with a camera, images of paintings and sculptures. Flickr's a great application for running a slide show comprised of images. It's also a great application for setting up a pseudo photo exhibit. But I want to set up a down home art gallery and not a photo exhibit.

I'm looking for an application that will allow you to run a silent slide show of paintings and sculptures, without audio and without commentary, just like Flickr does. I want to run the application or program on my computer and then show it on my 47" HDTV.

Ideally, this application would show hundreds or maybe thousands of paintings and sculptures created by all types of artists, be they famous artists like Van Gogh, Picasso or Renoir. Or undiscovered, amateur painters and sculptors.

Portraits that are shown in a size that would fill up the entire monitor, without margins. And, just like Flickr, I would hope that it's freeware, although I know beggars and desperadoes can't be choosy :)

Anyone know of an application they can recommend that matches what I have in mind?

Any media center enabled version of Windows has an excellent slideshow application built into Windows Media Center. Just point it at the folder you'd like to take pictures from, and it'll do the job for you. There are also a number of screensavers that do it, but the WMC is the most professional looking one I've seen.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the fill up the screen with no margins.

Well the first thing you'd have to do is make sure all your pictures are 16:9, otherwise you're either throwing away some of the file, or stretching it.

Last edited:
Any media center enabled version of Windows has an excellent slideshow application built into Windows Media Center. Just point it at the folder you'd like to take pictures from, and it'll do the job for you. There are also a number of screensavers that do it, but the WMC is the most professional looking one I've seen.

True - I think.

You say 'just point it at the folder you'd like to take pictures from.'

The thing is, WMC does not provide a folder - I don't think - that has hundreds upon hundreds of oil paintings and sculptures (Van Gogh, Picsasso, etc)....or does it?

If it does, please let me know.

Most reactions

Back