• No

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

Seekwence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to China in about a week. I will be traveling with my family for 2-3 weeks, while visiting my sister who is doing her study-abroad program in Nanjing. We will be spending time in Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an and Nanjing.

I would love to hear from people who have traveled there recently, as I want to make the most of the trip from a photographic standpoint. I am also interested in hearing about experiences photographing people as well as security issues while walking around a big city with a camera. (I have lived/traveled extensively in Central/South America and realize that the most important aspect is common sense and a general knowledge of your surroundings.)

depends on where you go. if you go to big cities such as shanghai, bei jing, etc you can walk around with a big camera without being too out of place. other places, i would be more careful since a lot of random people try to follow you around. Some guys were trying to do a right and left flank my mom but then they stopped when they realized that my dad and i were flanking them at the same time. lol

get your wide angle ready!

keep your bag infront of you at all times and try not to put anything in your back pockets.

Thanks. We will mostly be in large cities/tourist areas.

Some guys were trying to do a right and left flank my mom but then they stopped when they realized that my dad and i were flanking them at the same time.

Ha ha; too funny!

I wouldn't worry about it too much in the bigger tourist cities, i never felt overly concerned for security. Just use your typical traveler common sense but i wouldn't feel more worried then you would in South/Central America (probably even less).

As far as photography goes, tonnes to see an do all over. There's the typical touristy spots which are going to make for great pictures. Forbidden City, Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, etc. Really liked the tombs on the route to the great wall of past emperors. If open for day trips then Honjou and Sojou are great cities and Yellow Mountain is amazing. The Hutongs in Beijing make for really good photos as well.

I wouldn't worry about the camera/security/looking out of place in the big cities. In the touristy areas, there are a lot of tourists - go figure! So you won't be the only one sporting some nice equipment.

The Forbidden City is a huge, never ending place to get some great shots - especially if you're creative. (Which I wasn't, ha!)

A piece of advice I would have is to check out the weather before going to the great wall. It was extremely foggy the day we were there, so getting nice pictures wasn't an option. Although I didn't have a nice camera back then - but my guess is the fog would still be a problem.

The native people there - at least in Beijing, where I was - had no problem with us taking their pictures. I remember in one instance, there was an elderly man sitting on a bench, and a couple people in our group were taking his picture. It didn't bother him in the least - and turned out to be a great shot!

Have a great time, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Can't wait to see your photos when you get back - please share!

Being Chinese and having family in Shanghai, I go regularly every year! What's important has already been mentioned, but I cannot stress enough, wear your bag in front of you, keep an eye on your things. I would bring few lenses out with you, preferably just one, like a wide angle. People know these things are expensive, I don't think they'd hesitate to snatch a small lens. Don't fret too much, though! The modern parts of the cities are usually safe for the most part.

There is a vast amount of things to take pictures of, especially queer subjects and phenomenons. Nightlife is spectacular, but stay in populated areas. Make your shots quick! It's not often, but in the less developed areas of China, one may become quite frustrated with you taking pictures of them and may get hands on with it. Common sense helps!

Have fun! Bring back some great photos for us to envy! I'll be leaving in about two weeks for Shanghai! :D

Most reactions

Back