Headshot Lighting

A higher camera angle would be more flattering. That would emphasize the eyes instead of the neck area.

my 2 cents... and I am being deliberately nit picky... I think the light on the right is a smidgen too strong and the light on the left smidgen too weak. I'm not saying make it even just a little tweak. Maybe even the right is ok but the shadow side seems to fall away just a little bit too far. My suggestion is to experiment with a silver\gold reflector (break out the aluminum foil).
I also agree with Thomas (above), have the chin come up a fraction, not only does it slim the person but shows optimism.

Nice shots though

I'll try that, thanks.

The setup (is pictured above somewhere) but I only shoot 3 lights on this one (and sometimes only 2 - but not for these kinds of head shots). The light to the right is a soft box about 18 inches away from the subject and a large white reflector (white gator board) on the left for fill. There is a hair light and one on the backdrop. On the 2 light setup, I kill the backdrop light for a dark background.

Again... thanks for the input.

excellent thread. thanks!

I really like the crop. I think it brings more focus to the eyes, which, in my humble opinion, say so much. I like your work.

I am really new to all of this, but I am curious as to how to achieve the vignette effect (what I mean is the darkening of the edges. I only have photoshop elements...can it be done on that?

If they are headshots for general use, like a doctor, they are fine. However if they are for an actor/model, they need to include the entire head and shoulders normally.

Also, a hair light would be great. I don't have one either, but It would look good! :)

Most reactions

Back