Heavens Trail-s

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is something I have really been enjoying lately. I am still learning some things and need some new glass. I ordered a 24mm 1.4 but it arrived today and the focus ring was locked up. So that waits!
This was shot at Joshua tree "state" park here in Arizona with a half moon. I was not trying so much as to get a landscape here but to frame the stars with mostly foreground. I have heard so many times about not being able to get a shot without a new moon. Had to try it. Always looking for tips and advice on a newer subject for me.
20 sec
F/3.5
10mm
ISO 3200
35 exposures (about)

1StarStaX_9QS9A3076-100QS9A3168_lighten by Stormchase73

Looks like you did a great job. If you want longer trails, you could try getting more exposures to blend along with a slightly longer exposure. I did one with 30 second exposures, locked my cable release open, and had the shutter on continuous. That way, the camera will take shot after shot on its own. In my case, it will only do 100 max on my D7100.

I started with much longer trails and shortened them until I was able to see separation in the stars. The trails are tapered so I wanted to see the tails. I did another with about 100 frames. It was neat too but a different looks all together. It was actually pulled from a Time lapse did. I have the time lapse posted in the video threads if interested.

Oh I just looked. That was a different video I posted.
here is the correct one.

You inspired me to try a time lapse last night. I'm going to need a tripod and a better spot. I used a light pollution map mentioned in the other thread but was near a road and there was light on the horizon. Also pretty much 1st time using full manual.

Yeah go do it, it's fun.
Remember to have a fully charged battery or 2 and empty cards to fill up. A tripod is a must and you can weight down the center if it's a little unstable.

Most reactions

Back