Hello! A question from a newbie

nanashia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Kelly and I found my way here, and this seems to be a great place to learn more about photography.

I have done my fair share of amateur photography and am wanting a more serious take on this. It is a profession I respect and want to know that I can get the best “bang for my buck” so to say. Would you care to share some expertise?

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera. What makes the best camera? Is it the pixels, resolution, good lenses --or is it all the newfangled features that I can’t make heads or tails of?

If a camera takes a 3-5.6 size lens than will a 4.5- 5.6 lens fit it?

What makes the best car? Fastest top speed? Most comfortable seats? Number of cupholders? Different people are going to have different answers depending on how they use their cars and what's important to them.

Such is true for cameras as well. So what kind of photography are you interested in? What kind of things are important to you? Low-light performance? Sensor size? Have you gone to a camera shop to see which camera feel best in your hands?

The numbers you mentioned (3-5.6 etc.) are aperture ratios and don't have anything to do with the camera body, just the lens, and once you find the body you want, you'll be able to get whatever lenses you need without many restrictions.

I think any of the modern name-brand DSLRs will give you excellent picture quality. As OrionsByte says, how it feels in your hand - and how comfortable you are with the controls - is very important. One big reason people favor Nikon and Canon is not only their reputation for quality, but also the fact that you have available every kind of lens and accessory you will ever want.

If you are planning to buy a DSLR, the first thing you need to do is set your budget. Once you have a budget to work with, then find a setup that you like and meet your shooting need.

As mentioned by the other member, there is no such thing as best camera. However, there are photography tools out there that you like and able to do what you want to do within your budget.

Hi, I'm Kelly and I found my way here, and this seems to be a great place to learn more about photography.

I have done my fair share of amateur photography and am wanting a more serious take on this. It is a profession I respect and want to know that I can get the best “bang for my buck” so to say. Would you care to share some expertise?

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera. What makes the best camera? Is it the pixels, resolution, good lenses --or is it all the newfangled features that I can’t make heads or tails of?

A point and shoot will produce better photos printed right from the camera. The "pro" cameras do less sharpening. I have found that all my "pro cameras require sharpening. This illustrates a key difference between "pro" and amateur equipment, the camera behavior. Arizona Highways magazine requires that the photos submitted to them to be considered for purchase not be sharpened at all.

To get the best results from a DSLR you must also use a photo editing software program. I recommend Photo Shop Elements 5.0 It is easy simple and does everything needed. It has been on eBay for TEN! dollars and free shipping.

The pro level equipment or DSLR's as is commonly seem allows the user to be in control more so than the camera. Or stated another way the user has more control over the camera. Point and shoots often don't even have a viewfinder and a shutter lag. This answers your 3-5.6 question. Pro equipment has more control or options concerning what lens is attached to it. I strongly advise that you look only at Nikon or Canon because they dominate the market to the tune of over 80%. Therefore you have a selection and a greater selection of lenses and equipment. Simply do an eBay search for DSLR and see how many of each brand shows up.

You, being a beginner can get by quite nicely with an older 6ish megapixle used DSLR. But it is a computer device and we all should know the issues about older computers. So it might be better to focus on the newer is better approach. There is no need to buy what is frequently recommended on forums such as this. The most expensive, best top of the line gear going. No need unless you have that specific need. Highly unlikely you do. i.e. "the newfangled features that I can’t make heads or tails of? " Perhaps the most common bad advise for beginners is to buy very expensive "fast glass" You don't "need" these lenses. You also don't need to consider the built like a tank models design for pro daily abuse.

What you need to do is web search DSLR basics or something like that. Avoid getting caught up in all the details at this point in the process and getting confused by "all the newfangled features that I can’t make heads or tails of? "

Here is a site where the guy boils it down to the nitty gritty. Some don't like the guy because among other things he like me poo poo's the forum sacred cows like "fast glass" and "image degradation"
KenRockwell.com
[SIZE=+4]Recommended Cameras 2010
[/SIZE]
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm#serious

Find the Best Digital SLR Camera in 4 Easy Steps

Find The Best Digital SLR Camera for You in 4 Easy Steps

Last edited:
A point and shoot will produce better photos printed right from the camera. The "pro" cameras do less sharpening. I have found that all my "pro cameras require sharpening.
You may want to read manual that shipped with your pro cameras.

This illustrates a key difference between "pro" and amateur equipment, the camera behavior. Arizona Highways magazine requires that the photos submitted to them to be considered for purchase not be sharpened at all.
Do you know jpeg photos that come out from the camera are sharpened?

The pro level equipment or DSLR's as is commonly seem allows the user to be in control more so than the camera. Or stated another way the user has more control over the camera. Point and shoots often don't even have a viewfinder and a shutter lag. This answers your 3-5.6 question.

???:scratch:

There is no need to buy what is frequently recommended on forums such as this. The most expensive, best top of the line gear going. No need unless you have that specific need. Highly unlikely you do. i.e. "the newfangled features that I can’t make heads or tails of? " Perhaps the most common bad advise for beginners is to buy very expensive "fast glass" You don't "need" these lenses. You also don't need to consider the built like a tank models design for pro daily abuse.
I am a member in this forum since 2008. But I think Nikon D90 is the one frequently recommended in this forum since I joined. And that is not the most expensive nor the best top of the line gear.

Here is a site where the guy boils it down to the nitty gritty. Some don't like the guy because among other things he like me poo poo's the forum sacred cows like "fast glass" and "image degradation"
KenRockwell.com
[SIZE=+4]Recommended Cameras 2010
[/SIZE]
Recommended Cameras

Find the Best Digital SLR Camera in 4 Easy Steps

Find The Best Digital SLR Camera for You in 4 Easy Steps
I believe it is not that some people do not like Ken, it is some people who know about photography do not agree with some of the views from Ken.

That would really suck if I am stuck between those apertures.

ianvalentines029.jpg

aaa.jpg

My son.
42809115.jpg

42809150.jpg

Tulip.
42809119.jpg

1209mixture109-Copy.jpg

Shelby GT
1209continued223.jpg

1209continued301.jpg

1209continued110.jpg

Ready to pounce.
1209mixture041-Copy.jpg

blueforest.jpg

Playing with my Acrsoft photo editing software I prefer it to photoshop.
1209mixture002-Copy.jpg

1209mixture014-Copy.jpg

Old spring house in Salem.
1209mixt.jpg

My nephew.
1209mixture186.jpg

Cat in the hay.

dadsarahkids.jpg

Family photos are a requirement.
Untitled-Grayscale-01.jpg

Love vintage cars...

1209mixture329.jpg

A, now finished, work in progress. I am an advanced study in the visual arts, drawing, painting, sculpting, ect.

I need something that I can use to photograph family, nature, works of art and others. I need it to work well in varying degrees of light. I also am looking for a higher pixel count than 6. more along the lines of 14. or better. I will need pictures to hold there quality when enlarged. I need that for portfolio reasons. My budget for a modest set up is $1,000 or less. As far as the phrase "new fangled features that I can't make heads or tails of", I am refering to how camera companies come out with something new and improved to sell more items but are they really better than any other one out there? I have a basic knowledge and understanding of the function and ability of a DSLR I just don't know enough to spend 1,000 on a camera that isn't what I need. I am leaning more towards a Cannon or an Olympus. I hope this will help aswer some of your questions. I am not used to forums, so please be patient. Thankyou for your advice.

Get a low end DSLR and learn how to use all the functions of the camera and the basics of photography. After you learn how to that you can look at better glass, and after that a higher end camera.

If a camera takes a 3-5.6 size lens than will a 4.5- 5.6 lens fit it

I am confused?

Anyway I see that most others have answered your questions so I will leave that alone

I learned quickly if you want people to talk to you about your photos dont post more that two or three and pick your favorites.

I believe that some of the pics above have lots of potential. You may be on the right path if you stick to it. To back up other people, LEARN Everything there is about the camera you have. or get. Top to bottom. You should know how to work every button Once you get that down you are way ahead of the game.

Your portfolio of shots are taken with the Sony A350, so you already have a decent camera. Your collection shows some variation in quality, but it is clear that you do have the eye for composition. My advice would be focus on the skills side of the equation, and join a local photo club where you can see what people are doing, and how they are doing it. You could take course, but since you already have visual arts training, that may not give you the boost up in terms of much better results.

If I were you, I'd focus on fundamental skills first, to be sure that you have these mastered. Bryan Peterson has a number of really good books on exposure, composition, lighting and the like. Scott Kelly has a series of books that are excellent in capturing useful information. Joining a local photo club and participating in competitions and critiques will let you see where your photography skills are already good, and where you need improvement. When you start consistently bumping up against the limitations of your equipment, then you can consider the "systems" each manufacturer has created. At present, it seems like Nikon has the better technical solutions in terms of sensor noise, AF performance, and ergonomics, but Canon also has some very good offerings. I'd hold off making equipment purchases until you can frame the question. For example, you may say: my equipment does not allow me to shoot sharp photos in low-light environments where there is action and inconsistent lighting. I cannot get the focus to lock in onto my subject when it is moving, although I can get decent sharpness when I focus manually. Once you frame the right question(s), you'll be in the position to get good answers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back