Hello (and I need some help)

xian93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am quite new to photography and new to this site too. I hope I can develop my photography skills through this site. I use Nikon D5000 (borrowed from my sister's friend) to capture some great moments and I'll get myself a DSLR camera soon after I graduate. :)

And I have some issues about photo editing. Before I begin, I'll be honest here that actually I had a minor eyesight problem a few weeks ago but now it's getting better. so yesterday I took some pictures and it seemed quite fine when I looked at my camera display screen but when I display on my laptop most of it are either blurred or out of focus (probably due to my eyesight problem or maybe my photography skills turned rusty or maybe both, ugh). I use Gimp software but it doesn't seem to work (plus I also not familiar with it too). Can anyone help me out for this?

Thanks a lot!

The camera LCD is unreliable unless you zoom in a lot to the point of focus. The camera will show you where the focus was at the time of capture, so if you are in doubt, zoom way in to see if the camera achieved focus.

I don't know anything about Gimp.

What is it specifically you want help with?
If the camera autofocus is adjusted well, you eyesight is irrelevant.
Gimp, like any complex program, has a learning curve and there are uncounted tutorials to help with that.

Photography is not easy.

Welcome to TPF!

Be sure to check out our Galleries section, and post some of your recent work. There, some more specific issues can be identified and there are plenty of people here who are able to help you along. The Galleries are listed by category (ie, People, Landscape), so just select one that matches your image and post away.

Have fun!

Welcome to the forum. As Designer stated, if you use autofocus and if the autofocus is functioning correcting, then your eyesight doesn't come into play.

Welcome.

Gimp will not help if your pictures are out of focus. If the camera you borrowed has multiple focusing points. With your eye problem you may not have noticed which AF point the camera was on. Like others have said, the screen on the camera is not a good judge of good focus. Also it depends on what the aperture was set at when you took the picture. The smaller the f/ number and the closer the subject is. The shallower the area in the picture will be in focus. It would help to know what the picture was of, and what the camera settings were. I believe GIMP will reveal the metadata (show the camera settings of the pictures taken).

As a suggestion, read up on aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings as a basic starting point. And then go from there.

Most reactions

Back