Hello from Tennessee

HurleyPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. Guess I should have posted here first. I joined a few days ago so I’m not too far behind. I did photography for about 30 years. 28 years if you want exact. I started when I was about 13 playing with a camera that was borrowed from a friend. It was addicting. Couldn’t do enough chores and/or earn money fast enough cutting lawns and do auto mechanic work fast enough to pay for my film and the processing. And yes you read that right. But back then, the 70’s, cars were simple. That was a payment for a friend’s car tune up, to borrow his spare Pentax mg camera as long as I would like. It was a step up from the k1000, but still almost manual. It did have a meter inside the viewfinder.

By the time I was 14 I had shot my first wedding. I remember people looking at me like. ”he’s just a kid”. But hey all’s well that ends well. A year later at I was working for a photographer. Anything from little league sports, more weddings and odds and end jobs. My father drove me to a lot of them since I didn't even have a license at the time. I once did a job at a bar when I was only 16. By the time I was graduating high school, I was referring jobs to her. I also had gotten into B/W darkroom work.

I did a lot of kid’s sports and way too many weddings and eventually opened a studio locally. I’ve shot anything from pets and people to auto racing to the U.S. ski nationals in Florida. I’ve shot babies in their birthday suit to babes in their birthday suits. Majority of the time I had my wife to shoot them so they would feel a little more at ease. It was one day a family was in the studio and the man asked me if I did outside jobs. He raced at a local track and won the race that weekend but the track photographer had quit a few weeks before. I called the owners and started the next week. Shot that track for about 20 years. It was during this time that I was spending so much at labs that I decided to buy some color darkroom equipment. Best move I ever made.

Over the years I kept expanding with more and more equipment. I probably have enough equipment to start several complete color darkrooms. It’s been fun, but because of some health issues of recent, I have semi-retired. Have thought many times to set up machines again and start back doing lab work. Just not sure if it would be worth it. So I have considered selling most of my equipment I have left if anyone is interested. Also have a portable studio with 6 or 8 backgrounds and muslins.

Don’t really know what more I can add other than I’ve enjoyed almost every minute of it. There have been times you shake your head and walk away. If there is anything you want to know in particular just ask and I will get back to you. If you want information from my experiences, or just odd stories about things that happened or that I did ask away. There was a time I fixed Wal-mart’s photo lab equipment. I got hit at a race track and broke my jaw. Maybe how I got banned from a local Super D store because of the photo lab. Maybe a story on why to be careful about who you help just for them to stab you in the back or about the employee I had for maybe 30 minutes. I was single but I do have morals.

Actually I guess I have plenty I could write about. Stories pile up over the years. When I started this I only had about three lines. I thought gosh, that's kind of lame for a lifetime in photography, so I canceled the message and started a word document waiting for things to pop into my head. Nothing. Then finally this. So now, sorry for so long.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Dennis...

Hello Dennis, from a fellow Tennessean, albeit East TN in my case.
Welcome to TPF!

If I might make a bit of a suggestion: Would it be possible to edit your original post--change the font size to something just a little bit bigger and put in a couple of paragraph breaks perhaps?
I don't know about anyone else, but these old eyes just don't track and focus as well as they used to (and they never WERE that good at it!), and I see just enough in your intro to actually WANT to read it, but I just can't read it in the current format.
Please? And thank you. :D

Will do sm4him. I thought it was kinda small myself, but that is what was preset when I started so I just left it. I had help with reading glasses also so I know about the old eye thing. Thanks for the suggestion. And I'll trade the west side here for the east "most" any day.

Will do sm4him. I thought it was kinda small myself, but that is what was preset when I started so I just left it. I had help with reading glasses also so I know about the old eye thing. Thanks for the suggestion. And I'll trade the west side here for the east "most" any day.

Thank you! MUCH better, and very interesting! I also had a K1000 back in the day, although my first SLR was an Olympus OM-10; after it made about the fifth trip to the repair shop in two years, I ditched it and got the K1000, which I still have and use once in a while. My photographic journey has been as long as yours, but not as focused on the professional. I wanted to make it a profession, but then got attracted by other things, family came along, and the "real" cameras got put away for many years. When my kids left home for college, I decided to rediscover the things *I* enjoyed, got my first DSLR and away I went!

If you ever travel over to my part of the state, let me know and we'll meet for a cup of coffee, or a photo shoot. :D

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back