Hello guys, I just want to ask what focal I should get?

vienhuynh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I having these two right now:
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Canon-D…
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-40mm-Ultr…

I having these other 3 in mind, which I going to get in the future:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-2-8…

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-85mm-Medium-…

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-135mm-USM-Le…
And I do love prime for portrait :)
So yea, I am an amateur but I love taking photos, for my gf, family, events (I love going to shows like hot air balloon, or air show), I found some big flower field too, and prob wild life later on. So how these lens

• well, what I really mean to ask you guys is that since I would definitely get the 135mm prime, should I get 70-200mm? since it cover 85mm also?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're getting the 135, definitely go with the 70-200. I used to own the 85 1.8, but I never used it because the 135 is just such an amazing lens. The 70-200 will give you better flexibility and some good reach.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

But there are 5 different versions of the 70-200mm which one should I get? My heart saying f/2.8L IS II USM, my wallet say f/4L IS USM. I mean, what the difference between those 2 aperture can get???? And I usually handheld, so IS is a plus.

Last edited:
But there are 5 different versions of the 70-200mm which one should I get? My heart saying f/2.8L IS II USM, my wallet say f/4L IS USM. I mean, what the difference between those 2 aperture can get???? And I usually handheld, so IS is a plus.

The f/4 version weighs about half as much as the beast that is the f/2.8. That (and the price) were the main reasons I went with the f/4. I previously owned the non-IS f/2.8, and it was just a pain to carry around (though the photos were amazing).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

How your experience with the f/4 so far?

If you want a lens for family events and general shooting the 70-200mm f4 L range (either regular or the IS) will provide you with a high quality, smaller lens that can deliver the shots you need. If it gets a little dark you can always use a flash to help it out.

The f4 IS L version is even a touch above the 70-200mm f2.8 IS version in sharpness (its not night and day different, but the difference is there).

The 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII however is the newest and the most expensive and the best performing. It is bigger and heavier, but its a size and weight that most people can quickly grow accustomed to using with some regular shooting and most can use it a full day without too much trouble.
One other bonus is that this one can also take a 2*Teleconverter - note whilst the 2*TC will fit the other f2.8 versions of this lens it won't deliver great results. On this lens the results improve a lot over the older versions and you get quality akin to the 100-400mm L in performance. Of course it costs you a lot more and there is no point going for it unless you want the 70-200mm range.

Edit - forgot to add - the f2.8 versions can be a bit big for family events - I tend to find when I take mine I'm suddenly "the photographer one" (which doesn't mean they pose for me it means I'm the one left carrying the big camera all day ;)). I'd say a smaller, good lens like the f4 can be more versatile in these conditions because its lighter and much more discreet. You can also take a small shoulder back to keep camera and lens inside (of course this can also be said for the f2.8 - so it can come down to a matter of preference - as well as to your long term buying choices and situation).

Last edited:
I'd vote for the 70-200 f4 IS

So in the event such as graduation auditorium, do you guys think it is enough light for the f/4 to perform well? If it is, I would go for f4 IS in a heart beat, since if it darker than that a lot, I prob sleeping at home, or using the 135mm f2 to take portrait or w/e I interested in... Thank you for the feedbacks.

This is a video of the school my gf goes to and exact place where she going to graduate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkLiMD2y9zI
I
getting the lens to take photos for her from the spectators area, so yea, that is the reason, but I think the range is quite versatile and I know it will stay on the body most of the time :D

If you have the 135mm you'll be using that indoors - the wider maximum aperture will help. Which means if you have the 70-200mm f4 you likely won't be using it - whilst if you have the 70-200mm f2.8 it will more be a case of picking if you want prime or zoom for the occasion. Remember many that go prime will have an 85mm, 50mm, 135mm type collection of lenses so that they can cover a wider selection of subjects.

You've really got a spoilt for choice situation as to if you want to go for primes or zooms and at what level you want to take each choice.

tough call, I love prime for portrait, both in and outdoor, and the 135mm is amazing, so that gotta be in the collection no matter what.... But you know, sometimes a zoom is convenience for unreachable places. And I do have sigma 50mm f1.4 already, got that covered. But since the 135mm is an amazing lens, I prob wont need 85mm.

Look at it this way - barring the wildlife there isn't really anything you've mentioned that really calls for 400mm. Personally I would say (and it depends on your needs and budget) that the 135mm f2 would be the best starting point (good wide aperture for the presentation coming up) and then go for the 70-200mm f4 for a generalist zoom for family events (that said I tend to find even 70mm on crop sensor can be a bit long for family stuff; but then you've already got some good shorter glass so this would expand upon that).

Thank Overread :) Now I can sleep well at night knowing I got a good advice :] thank you.

I would go with the 70-200. I have the 85, but I rarely use it except for portrait shots, since I typically have the 70-200 glued to one of my cameras. I have the f2.8 non IS version, and I love it. I have one f4 lens (the 17-40), and while it is a very sharp lens, I hate how dim the viewfinder is with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back