ndredsox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jacksonwade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking on here for quite some time and finally set down and registered. I just switched to dslr from a p&s Canon S720. Night and Day!

I rec'd an Xsi as a present this holiday and have already developed the photo bug! Two trips to Roberts in Indianapolis later and I have already spent enough money to entertain a trip to Disney World for a week. Oh well, it's fun.

Anyhow, I wish everyone a happy and healthy new year!

I wanted to post this one photo for your viewing and wanted to know why I am unable to get the darker area to the right of the head to match the intensity of the opposite side.
3155642598_77e1eebf3d_b.jpg

Cute kid, but not the most interesting shot. The background is rather noisy, and the comp/angle just seem off. Go back and reshoot from some more interesting angles and change your ISO to avoid being so noisy.

Hello to a fellow Indy'er! I just joined here.

The photo is OK, but I would try to eliminate some of the background objects. The floor the kid is on could make a good backdrop in B&W if you played it out well, but maybe a really large aperture shot would be good here?

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking on here for quite some time and finally set down and registered. I just switched to dslr from a p&s Canon S720. Night and Day!

I rec'd an Xsi as a present this holiday and have already developed the photo bug! Two trips to Roberts in Indianapolis later and I have already spent enough money to entertain a trip to Disney World for a week. Oh well, it's fun.

Anyhow, I wish everyone a happy and healthy new year!

I wanted to post this one photo for your viewing and wanted to know why I am unable to get the darker area to the right of the head to match the intensity of the opposite side.
3155642598_77e1eebf3d_b.jpg

To answer your question...
The reason the area to the boy's left is darker than to his right is to do with the distance(s) from the flash... Called the "Inverse Square Law" it says that the amount of light (from the flash) decreases inversely, the further the object is away...
Also the table legs/rug are more reflective than the ??door?? behind him and so appear lighter... You could make are behind him lighter using a gradient map and mask in photoshop...
However, technically, such a large area behind the boy is Negative Space. There is nothing in that space that adds anything to the image... So you might consider cropping it out - this also has the advantage of moving the child from the centre of the image, said to be more visually appealing... Also, consider cloning out the bright objects above the child's head as these are distracting... And use contrast to increase the dynamic range (darker blacks and brighter lights...) A nice picture...
Jedo

Attachments

• $Untitled-1.jpg
    $Untitled-1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 80
Thank you, Jedo, for actually answering the QUESTION. :lol:

Informative response, too. I didn't know that little tidbit.

BTW, to OP... hello, happy new year, and welcome to the forum! :)

Most reactions

Back