Hello, I'm a newbie. Where do I begin?

Hey There Potato. I think your best bet is to find an SLR with a kit lens. these are always zoom lenses now-a-days and the quality is good. Don't get yourself wrapped up, for now, in all the discussions about lens quality. You can buy a Nikon D40x with a good lens, same goes for Canon or Pentax. They're all good. In case you're interested, the difference between "pro" cameras and lenses and amateur cameras and lenses is that a pro can shoot a photo with an amateur lens and make it look professional. Reason: knowledge of how a camera and lens work together with light to create the best image of any subject.

When you buy a camera I have always suggested that the "feel" of a camera body and its controls to you, individually, is the one you should choose. I assume that you are going to buy the lens along with the camera that fits your budget. Go to a camera shop and try out many different brands. You WILL find one that feels right and whose controls are right where you want them.

Read up on exposure and how the shutter speed, aperture and ISO work together. Read the tutorials in my signature, they'll give you the basics of it all.

Thank you for all your suggestions. My bookmark list for photography is getting quite long. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back