Hello Im New and have some questions

OwensMomma310

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all My name is Richelle Im new to this site, I am shooting with a Canon Rebel XT with a 18-55mm Kit lens, has a UV filter on.

my first question is What settings should I have it on for best Indoor shooting with bad lighting? My apartment lighting is crap a Lamp basically, and I just can seem to get it right with guessing.
Should I take the UV Filter off till Im outside?

second question is what is the best settings to use when taking photos outside of my toddler? when moving? still?

I took this when he was in the car, still in car seat ISO was 800 so I think thats good for still but he was buckled in lol
IMG_1044.jpg

any help is much appreciated!

TIA

What was your shutter and aperture? ISO lets in more light, but won't give you more/less blur with movement. Faster shutter speeds freeze movement better than slower ones. We can't tell you what settings to use because we aren't in the situation. Each situation is unique. Someone will be here soon with a link, probably. I'm still pretty new, so I don't have those.

on that photo the Aperture was f/5.6 from what flickr says im not sure if this is it but it has these for shutter (Shutter- AELock AF/AE lock) and (Shutter Curtain Sync 1st-curtain sync)

1st of all, what a beautiful child you have. There are 3 things to consider when it comes to exposure. #1 is the ISO setting, the higher the less light needed, the lower, the better the picture quality. Most cameras have ranges like 100-400 = great......425.-1600=good....1625...3200=acceptable....3225 and above....will do in a pinch...(These numbers are arbritrary and don't relate to any particular camera.) #2 is shutter speed. There are really 2 things to consider when it comes to shutter speed, (a) how slow can you hand hold and (b) do you need to freeze the action of your subject. A ball park number for minimum hand hold is around 1/30 sec but with the new VR lenses it can be pushed a little lower. As for freezing action of a toddler, I think 1/250 and above should do the trick. #3 is the f/stop of the lense. This is the size of the opening inside the taking lens. This opening is adjusted in the camera and is expressed as a number called a f/stop. The largest opening is expressed as a lower number like 2.8 and the smallest opening is a number like 22. The larger the number, the shallower the depth of field will be. Depth of field is really the depth of focus infront of and behind the point of primary focus. So if you want just you subject to be in focus and the background to be blurry you would use a larger opening like f/3.5, and if you wanted more in focus front to back you would use a smaller opening like f/16 or f/22. Most lenses have a sweet f/stop where they are their sharpest and it is usually in the middle of the range like f/5.6 or f/8. Now all of these things, ISO, SHUTTER SPEED, and, f/STOP have to be in BALANCE for proper exposure. And your camera can do all of this for you in the automatic mode. However, if you want control over depth of field or freezing action, you need to be able to adjust some of these settings on your camera.

Most cameras today will let you control any or all of these settings. You camera manual can and will do a much better job of explaining this.

Keep taking pictures of your baby, he won't be small for long, they grow up too fast.

1st of all, what a beautiful child you have. There are 3 things to consider when it comes to exposure. #1 is the ISO setting, the higher the less light needed, the lower, the better the picture quality. Most cameras have ranges like 100-400 = great......425.-1600=good....1625...3200=acceptable....3225 and above....will do in a pinch...(These numbers are arbritrary and don't relate to any particular camera.) #2 is shutter speed. There are really 2 things to consider when it comes to shutter speed, (a) how slow can you hand hold and (b) do you need to freeze the action of your subject. A ball park number for minimum hand hold is around 1/30 sec but with the new VR lenses it can be pushed a little lower. As for freezing action of a toddler, I think 1/250 and above should do the trick. #3 is the f/stop of the lense. This is the size of the opening inside the taking lens. This opening is adjusted in the camera and is expressed as a number called a f/stop. The largest opening is expressed as a lower number like 2.8 and the smallest opening is a number like 22. The larger the number, the shallower the depth of field will be. Depth of field is really the depth of focus infront of and behind the point of primary focus. So if you want just you subject to be in focus and the background to be blurry you would use a larger opening like f/3.5, and if you wanted more in focus front to back you would use a smaller opening like f/16 or f/22. Most lenses have a sweet f/stop where they are their sharpest and it is usually in the middle of the range like f/5.6 or f/8. Now all of these things, ISO, SHUTTER SPEED, and, f/STOP have to be in BALANCE for proper exposure. And your camera can do all of this for you in the automatic mode. However, if you want control over depth of field or freezing action, you need to be able to adjust some of these settings on your camera.

Most cameras today will let you control any or all of these settings. You camera manual can and will do a much better job of explaining this.

Keep taking pictures of your baby, he won't be small for long, they grow up too fast.

Thank you we definitely feel blessed,

How you explained this makes me understand a lot more then I have read up on it I will definitely be writing this down to fall back on when I forget Thank you so much for this info

Why do you have a UV filter on the lens?

Another forum member recent dropped a lens that had a UV filter on it. The thin, easily broken filter glass shattered. One of the sharp shards of broken UV filter scratched the lens front element it was supposed to 'protect'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told to use it in the winter, I don't know why so I kept it on. Thats why I asked about it.

That's a great family snapshot.

I'd ditch the UV filter, and fit a hood instead, if you feel like it will get damaged.

In general, you should go with faster shutter speeds and wider apertures to stop action.

Narrower apertures for a deeper depth of field.

UV filters are just a way for the camera shop to make a few extra bucks. They server no purpose, though the pitch is that they will "protect" your lens glass and adding ANY glass will degrade your image to some degree. IMO

That's a great family snapshot.

I'd ditch the UV filter, and fit a hood instead, if you feel like it will get damaged.

In general, you should go with faster shutter speeds and wider apertures to stop action.

Narrower apertures for a deeper depth of field.

I'm not really worried about it getting damaged I normally put the cap right on after taking a picture and I always have it in the case I got when its not being used (when I sleep) lol. I was just told it would stop glare from the white snow/sun and make the picture better so I can ditch it if it don't. didn't cost anything they added it and 2 others.

Thanks for the info :D

UV filters are just a way for the camera shop to make a few extra bucks. They server no purpose, though the pitch is that they will "protect" your lens glass and adding ANY glass will degrade your image to some degree. IMO

Thanks Ya Im gonna ditch it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back