hello im new to this site and need help

lightbringer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i had a major question for new photographers and seasoned ones. i am planning on purchasing a camera and work towards getting a degree in photography. any suggestions for a specific type? i have looked at several ie. (sony dslr a850 and cannon eos 5d markII) if i am on the right track please let me know or if i should look at others. ive already heard debates over the sony (grief over there not being many lenses for them) any help will be appreciated.

Hello Lightbringer,
Welcome on board, nice to meet you! :)

I would strongly recommend either Canon or Nikon and forget Sony. I admit I am biased with them, but you will have more options with Canon or Nikon than with Sony and I really do think they have better gear.

The 5d Mark 2 is a awesome camera but in many ways the 7D beats it in speed and handleling plus is like 800 less so I would decide if you really want the full frame or not. Plus there is talk about a 5D Mark III coming out before to long though I have not seen anything on the Canon site. Still its a fantastic camera that delievers among the best images in the industry so you can't go wrong with it.

For the Nikon side the D700 is among the best camera out there. Yeah its MP looks low when compared to the Canon but its images can compete against it any day plus it dominates in lower light. This camera has been out for awhile so I suspect Nikon will be coming out with the new model soon to more compete with the 5D.

I would probably go with the Canon 5D mark II here unless you don't need full frame then go with the 7D. there fantastic cameras in almost every way. With the he extra money saved on the 7D pick up a nice L lens. You will not regret it!

Thank god this thread wasn't named "Canon vs. Nikon" lol.

It would be 1,500 views and 10 pages in a matter of days.

I wouldnt get a Sony, their overall system isnt up to the standards of Nikon and Canon.

Idaho's advice is very objective, and I almost totally agree with it.

Like he said if you wanted to go Canon, make sure that you are buying the right camera for your needs.

The 7D is better for sports/action/video, and the 5D mk II is better for landscapes and studio work.

The 5D mk II is significantly more expensive too.

I wouldnt recommend someone buy a DSLR this expensive for their 1st. You may find you don't even like photography that much.

As for Nikon cameras, the D300s and the D700 are both fine cameras. You cant really go wrong with them either.

Choose carefuly because you WILL get locked into the system of the company you pick.

You are actually in a nice position, bucause at least you can decide. Most of us are forced to live with what we got, for good or bad.

That being said, Canon AND Nikon are both outstanding camera companies. You will not be disappointed with either, trust me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back