Hello.. I'm new

KatieOkieDokie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! My name is Katie, and I have just started to have a passion for photography, meaning I am VERY new at this, and trying to learn a little on my own! I am taking a photography class this summer (through my local college) so I hope to get better! Here are a few pictures I have taken..and remember I am new so please be nice..haha lol. Or honest! And for some reason I can't get the pics to match sizes??

woddypunkrock-1.jpg

tree.jpg

tree6.jpg

thought I would add a few more, instead of making a completely new thread!

Last edited:
I like your first one, It looks .. a little soft? there's something about it, i don't know. ha

#2 is kind of eh. I like that type of shot though. Maybe if you got at more of an angle, it kind of looks awkward?

#3 do not center your photos. Sky looks a little to bright.

Although, I'm not a professional, so this is just my advice for now of what I think. :p Take it if you will.

If you're extremely new, just read about camera settings, and look at other peoples work, go through here and read what people have to say about everybody else's pictures. It really helps.
Nice job! Keep shooting and keep posting :) You'll get a lot of help.

They're nice. #2 may not be that great, but at least it shows you're thinking outside the box when it comes to angles, something I consider really important to make your pictures stand out. And the center thing... is not like it is a golden rule. Following the rule of thirds tends to allow for some nice compositions, but rules are meant to be broken sometimes.

Hi Katie...for someone who has only been at it (photography) for a little while, you seem to be on the right track. I would agree with the previous comments that #1 is not bad, colours are well defined, but it does seem a little soft - maybe that is the nature of the feathers - don't know. Number 2 is interesting and definitely shows, as has been said...that you can think outside the box when it comes to getting a different angle on things. As far as number 3 is concerned, as Juanka said, "rules are made to be broken sometimes" and in my opinion this is one of times to break them. I have a very similar picture of a poplar tree in winter, devoid of any leaves and I purposely centred it. If I were you, I would crop the third one so that there is more of the tree and less of the sky and the foreground, in particular, I would crop out what appears to be a partly water-covered field - after all, the tree is the subject of interest, is it not. I would suggest you may want to search the web and look for pages that cover "photography composition", or similar subjects, e.g., check out this one... Advanced Composition -- Part I and as you scroll to the bottom, you will notice that there is a follow-on Part II...these may give you some ideas for future images. Keep shooting...

Cheers,

WesternGuy

i like #3 a lot, maybe just crop off the bottom part, the water reflection is a little distracting to my eye. keep it up!:thumbup:

I like your first one, It looks .. a little soft? there's something about it, i don't know. ha

#2 is kind of eh. I like that type of shot though. Maybe if you got at more of an angle, it kind of looks awkward?

#3 do not center your photos. Sky looks a little to bright.

Although, I'm not a professional, so this is just my advice for now of what I think. :p Take it if you will.

If you're extremely new, just read about camera settings, and look at other peoples work, go through here and read what people have to say about everybody else's pictures. It really helps.
Nice job! Keep shooting and keep posting :) You'll get a lot of help.

The rule of thirds is nice. But on number three, the rule is good to be broken. Having the tree in the dead center shows the isolation of the single dead tree. The horizon is perfectly placed under center. It's a great photo, more so for a new person.

Ofcourse im no pro.

welcome, i am also new, looks like i gotta take some photos to show people to.

I like the 2nd and 3rd photo, also picked up a tip of never to center objects from this.

Nice work

Thank you everyone for your advice!!

The rule of thirds is nice. But on number three, the rule is good to be broken. Having the tree in the dead center shows the isolation of the single dead tree. The horizon is perfectly placed under center. It's a great photo, more so for a new person.

Ofcourse im no pro.

YES!! The one loney tree.. that is what I was going for!!

I have issues NOT centering everything (I guess it's one of my petpeeves) but I shall work on this.. and thank you WesternGuy for the website!! :)

I really like #2 and 3. I am by no means a professional so I can't give any kind of advice, but I like them as photos.
The first one looks a little fuzzy. Try sharpening it in a simple photo editor.

I agree w/ Biggs88 the tree works in the center in #3.

#3 does work. You appear to have great potential.

Hi Katie! I'm not going to comment on you pictures, since I really don't know what I'm doing, but I will comment on one thing you said in your intro, about people being nice.

Please don't take this the wrong way but in most cases, the best criticism is the harsh criticism. It forces you to remember mistakes, and is more likely to help you remember to not repeat them.

If all anyone ever received were comments like "Awwwww, that's great!" and "Good job" they would be hard pressed to grow as a photographer.

Other than that,it looks like you have a great start! Keep on clickin'!

And Oh yeah.... I like the tree in number three, right where it is.

lol I totally agree with you.. I was just playing.. :D I mean how would I know what to try to improve or work on, if everyone only said nice things?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back