Hello there!

Dykstra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post my introduction, but anyway, my name is John and I'm an 18-year-old amateur photographer. I haven't shot for long, but I've already fell in love with the hobby and am looking for a community to share my love with. ;) A community where I can give and receive critique, as well as share my personal opinions and philosophies on photography.

For example, just recently I've finally started looking at scenes that I want to photograph less in terms of the objects, and more in terms of the light on the objects. I realized that as a photographic artist, my medium is light. I manipulate light, I paint with light, I understand light. Most importantly, I understand that all it takes to make an outstanding photograph is the magical light which defines everything it rests upon. Light is how I see, and light is how I feel; it's alive, it's always changing, and it is ultimately what makes the subject as beautiful as it is. When I set out to photograph an inspiring landscape, it is my foremost intention to capture a lightscape. Light is passion, light is emotion, and light is information. With an earnest understanding and passion for light itself, you can make a field more impressive than a mountain. And this is my goal; to portray the beauty of our earth through the power of life-bringing light. This change in perspective has radically altered the way I go about taking a photograph.

OH, and I'm also in a high-school photography scholarship competition, and I'd like to ask you to view my submission and consider voting for me! If you don't believe I deserve it, then don't vote. Here's the link: Sigma - Scholarship contest :blushing:

The prize totals out to $6000, all of which I would be dumping on gear I need to get the photos I'm dying to capture. I'd LOVE to make a career out of this, and this competition is a major jump in that direction.

Anyway, just thought I'd meander in here and introduce myself before I start moping around the forum. See you around town!

I would have hung around here longer first, then posted asking for a favor before advertising my need for votes.

I think half the people here are likely to vote against you..

Not trying to be an ass but I've seen it happen before.

I like your pictures though.

Do you have more images online to share?

I do! Flickr: John.Dykstra's Photostream

I would have hung around here longer first, then posted asking for a favor before advertising my need for votes.

I think half the people here are likely to vote against you..

Not trying to be an ass but I've seen it happen before.

I like your pictures though.

Well, that's unfortunate on their part if they feel the need to go out of the way to vote against someone, but it's all good. That probably would've been a smart idea.

Anyway, thanks!

I think I've seen your pictures on computer wallpaper sites.. have you had them featured on any?

They're good enough though, really..

Rez, I actually gave him points for being the first to say "If you don't believe I deserve it, then don't vote."

Nice images, John. I like "Out From Obscurity" in particular.

I think I've seen your pictures on computer wallpaper sites.. have you had them featured on any?

They're good enough though, really..

Thanks a lot. No, I haven't had my stuff featured on any wallpaper sites. I have been offering people high-res photos for use as wallpaper though to entice them into voting a while back, so that may be the case. A lot of the kids I'm up against have a lot of connection over the Internet, and I'm just having a hard time raising my numbers to match them.

Rez, I actually gave him points for being the first to say "If you don't believe I deserve it, then don't vote."

Thanks a lot, Jeweler.

Love your photo's John. Very well done. I voted. Good luck!

Bitter:thumbup:

John, are all 5 on that page yours?

Bitter:thumbup:

John, are all 5 on that page yours?

Yes, all five images on that page are mine, as is the essay. You can look at other people's entries as well by using the links on the side.

Nice pictures John :thumbup: I'm impressed. Good luck! I voted for ya :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back