HELP- 1st Wedding.. Any tips?

Thank you. :hail: I think you are the only one that actually read what I wrote and has not drilled me into the ground. I can handle this challenge and can't wait to prove these "professionals" on this forum wrong.

Anytime! I'd love to see some of your practice work, maybe we could help with any possible lighting issue that you may encounter. :thumbup:

My friend was having an assistant with a remote flash bounce light off of and often times through this thing to kill shadows. It its pretty cool. It twists/rolls up like a car windshield shade and can fit easily in a bag.

375827361_veFJq-M.jpg

My friend was having an assistant with a remote flash bounce light off of and often times through this thing to kill shadows. It its pretty cool. It twists/rolls up like a car windshield shade and can fit easily in a bag.

375827361_veFJq-M.jpg

Oh yes, I have one.. and I will be bringing it with me! :)

375827361_veFJq-M.jpg

I would recommend this also. Your light will be so nice and soft, and once you get a feel for where it needs to be positioned to get the results you are looking for, you'll be firing off like the 4th o' July. If budget is of concern, a very large picture frame (glass removed) and a white sheet, and some thread or velcro can make a very effective DIY diffuser, except you can't fold it up and stow it in your bag.

Is that assistant available for hire? Meow!

About 5 years ago I was approached by a very good friend. She had seen some of my work, and asked me to be her wedding photog. I HAD NOT done a single wedding up to this point, and was by no means a "professional" photographer. I told her so, and she said "Well, my Uncle Bob has a camera, so I guess we'll just have him shoot a few pictures". Quite, frankly, I KNEW I could shoot better than Uncle Bob, so I agreed. This bride wasn't planning on hiring a pro photog whether I said yes or no, she couldn't afford it.

I said Yes, and took A TON of photos. She enjoyed my work so much, that I have now shot her 3 sister's weddings, plus their family photos, and remaining children's senior portraits ever since.

A first time wedding photog can turn out a lot better pictures than NO PHOTOG! I say kudos, good luck, and have fun! I now shoot around 25 weddings a year, which isn't a ton, but I never would have known if I could or would like it if I hadn't given it a try!

Last edited:
Canon 430ex or 580ex flashes would work well with an XTi.

If you are going to be doing any low light photography a Canon 50mm f/1.8 would be handy, it's a decent portrait lens, and they are cheap.

If you are going to be shooting in full sunlight a polarizer may help with color, and it blocks a stop or two if you are dealing with trying to use a large aperture within the flash sync speed (although the flashes I mentioned above have a high speed sync feature).

Sit down with the B & G and figure out what they want, and plan a schedule. Leave a little room for getting behind. At 90% of the weddings I shoot someone is running late that causes the photography to start late.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back